The Magic Coat (LITLR) - AndyR Original

Started by AndyR, February 10, 2022, 02:55:27 PM

AndyR

Another Songwriting Demo for FAWM 2022

Song number 5.

What can I say? Mrs R likes it.

I knew she would.

Scheduling-wise, songs per day, I've now caught up with having missed the first 5 days of February. So I might take a break tomorrow... or might try to get ahead in case I break a finger or something later LOL

The Magic Coat
Words & Music AndyR
--------------------------------
You still wear the magic coat
You still smile your magic smile
You remember how it used to be
You still make this all worthwhile

While we're waiting in the wings
I can tell you how I feel
When we step into the light that blinds us
We have nothing to conceal

If they notice
The ease has gone
That age has robbed us
Expects us to go on
It's you who lifts us
And shows we were not wrong
When we set out

You still wear the magic coat
You still smile your magic smile
You still wear my magic ring
You still make this all worthwhile

Copyright (C) 2022 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

chapperz66

Well - I can see how Mrs R likes this.  And she is not alone - I love it.  I love everything about it - the super clean acoustic, the heartfelt lyrics and the usual stellar Andy vocal delivery.  But perhaps most of all, I am blown away by the fact that this is done against a ridiculously tight time scale and LITLR.  I really can't imagine ever doing a remotely listenable recording in such circumstances. 

I can imagine this with a George Martin-esque string arrangement, but really it is pretty much perfect as it stands.  Maybe you should send this to Joe Gilder to see if he can find issues with it - because I can't.

Paul

thetworegs

Beautifully played sung and recorded ...I'm a fan ......but then again you already know that   :D

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

AndyR

Quote from: chapperz66 on February 11, 2022, 12:31:37 AMWell - I can see how Mrs R likes this.  And she is not alone - I love it.  I love everything about it - the super clean acoustic, the heartfelt lyrics and the usual stellar Andy vocal delivery.  But perhaps most of all, I am blown away by the fact that this is done against a ridiculously tight time scale and LITLR.  I really can't imagine ever doing a remotely listenable recording in such circumstances. 

I can imagine this with a George Martin-esque string arrangement, but really it is pretty much perfect as it stands.  Maybe you should send this to Joe Gilder to see if he can find issues with it - because I can't.

Paul

I saw this first thing - it made feel really good many thanks. I had to get some work done, just finished.

It was actually the tight timescale that helped this happen.
I conjured it up from something I observed in a Taylor Swift song a few months back, someone's green lab coat when I was 17, getting old, and what was on the television (Torvill and Dean).

I had HUGE problems with the recording. I thought I had the perfect performance (apart from one fluffed guitar note) ... then when I'd controlled the peaks and got it louder and louder - I spotted some (for me) AWFULL sibilance.

I got rid of it with a mixture of EQ and compression... But, it has somewhat compromised the guitar.
I'm also sounding a bit pitchy for my liking... that could be tiredness, old age, not enough breath because of how I'm sitting... or it could be this guitar is a bit quiet compared to my usual one (both are Parlours, this is a Fender one, the other is a Martin).

All the issues would be solved by doing this as a multi-track thing.

Yeah, I could see a George Martin string arrangement... but, in my head, I've actually got a jazz kit and fretless, a bit of hammond, and a few more acoustic parts to augment what's there. Maybe some oohs and aahs ;D

EDIT: And Reg! Cheers :) you posted while I writing, deleting, and writing again!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ray Brookes

A beautiful song, Andy and great performance with just that acoustic guitar. Sure, you could add in strings, organ, bass etc. but I personally think it works fine just stripped bare like this.
Ray Brookes

StephenM

nice finger picking...that is not something I do much... the lyrics are intense and personal... as a listener I know you are singing this about someone you love or at least care alot about. 

about your conversation with Chapper you said " or it could be this guitar is a bit quiet compared to my usual one (both are Parlours, this is a Fender one, the other is a Martin)."

for me it does seem the guitar is quiet for the voice but I figured that was the finger picking... that happens...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner