A newbie here... Hello

Started by Rob Grant, February 06, 2022, 09:12:40 AM

Rob Grant

Hello ???? My name is Rob Grant and I was introduced to this site by Farrell Jackson. I'm a retired Steamfitter from Baltimore, Md. Since the late 50's music has been important to me and been a go to for sanity. I played in rock bands from the 60's through the 80's, first as a guitarist and ended up as a bass player. I consider myself a hobbyist and no means a pro. I quit playing in 1980, but continued as a record enthusiast. I worked in record stores go 12 years, when I switched to a new career as a Steamfitter. I never lost my love of music. I love ALL types of music, but rock was my main interest. In 2005 I was reading about computer recording and was sent on a new musical path. I purchased a Line 6 UXII interface and Ableton Live recording software. I joined a couple sites, made new friends, and became a collab whore????. I ultimately hooked up with Farrell Jackson, Gary Carcielo, and Doctor C. We started making a ton of music and became Rayon Vert. In 2011, my life changed and I went through multiple setbacks....computer crashes, lost files, moving, an apartment fire, and a loss of interest to start over. I retired in 2018, to help more in taking priority on my home life. When COVID hit, it really created a lot of stress and the condition of the US, stressed me as well. I needed something in my life and music was there waiting. I updated all my software, bought a new Telecaster and in November 2021 started my hobby up again. I reconnected Rayon Vert members and to my pleasant surprise, we regrouped. So!! Here I am with a new start. I play guitar and bass, minimal keyboards (I know some chords????), use EZ Drummer II, Line 6 Pod Farm2, and some midi keyboards and effects. I am partially deaf, so my mixing and mastering suffers. I have high end loss and muddled bass. WELL? My sleeve is exposed and I look forward to meeting new net musical friends.
"The road to hell is paved with good intents"

guitarron

Welcome Rob
Your in the right place. I retired from my "real" job as well and now have time to do music.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

TPB

Welcome from Mississippi you should have fun here I also love to collab so maybe we can work something up
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Mike_S

Yeah welcome abord Rob! I am from Ireland. I am a best described as a home/bedroom musician, I do different genres, blues, rock, instrumental, weird prog (I attempt anyway).

Look forward to checking out your stuff!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ray Brookes

Welcome from Sydney Australia, Rob. This is a great site.
Ray Brookes

Farrell Jackson

Hey Rob...I'm so glad to see that you joined Songcrafters! You'll love this site and it will love you back. I disagree with your comment about just being a hobbyist and not a pro. You are one heck of a musician and songwriter. Welcome aboard my friend and Rayon Vert bandmate!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

Welcome from Hickory, NC area..  you are going to be a great addition to the site ;D :) ::)

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say I'm not wearing any underwear.

Wecome.

Blooby

Zoltan

Welcome!
I was going to say that i'm a bit weird... But after reading what Blooby had to say i'm just going to stay silent :D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

godinqc

Welcome to the forum .. as others mentioned  this is a great site .. I'm also recently retired and had stopped playing for many years.
So welcome/bienvenue from Ottawa, Canada , eh!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800