Where is everybody at?

Started by Mike_S, February 02, 2022, 03:43:27 PM

Mike_S

Was in a musical cul de sac all the way through Christmas and well into January which only ended about a week ago when I somehow managed a new song. But I really felt at the time I had no idea how I would go about doing anything original or new. I just felt like I had forgot and I didn't want to try and force anything out as for one thing as you get older you have less energy to force songs out. And as many say... they come when they are ready and often they are better that way.

But I noticed in the last year or so my way of coming up with new songs is changing a little. Instead of coming up with a riff on guitar and then trying to fit lyrics to it, songs have been coming in a slightly different way. A few of my last of songs have come to me as a line or two of lyrics out of the blue while I am driving or walking which I put to a tune in my head. I'll record the line or two into my phone so I don't forget. Then try to work them up in to songs at a later date.

Was wondering where other folk are at in their songwriting/music journey right now... or anyone have any tips to share to get out of a musical rut etc?
recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

If you get in a rut, buy a new pedal ;)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

BerryPatch

I get a similar feeling all the time. I come up with song ideas and I'm all pumped to record them and when the time comes.... bam! I'm don't feel like I'm in the mood and I don't start them. I like sitting at a Piano and hacking songs out that way a lot of the time I find. It feels like the chords are more.... available shall we say than on a guitar sometimes.

A lot of times though, an idea just sort of pops into my head randomly and I flesh it out later if the idea sticks. Like you, I typically come up with an initial line or two that's fits in the melody that I have and I sorta structure the chords around that. Then comes the hard part... arranging the whole song out on GarageBand drums! I usually do this with a guitar in hand and play out the chords with the drums to see how long I want the verses/chorus and if there should be a bridge and add fills accordingly. After that it's just a matter of recording all the parts and then later on finalizing the lyrics, that's pretty much my "method".

Don't beat yourself up too much I'd say, it's best not to force it. You've got incredible talents as a songwriter and musician and I'm sure you've got many great ones coming down the pipe  :)

Ferryman

In a deep rut, so I bought a new pedal ;)

Seriously, I have decided to stop doing "traditional" music. I just keep repeating the same riffs and tropes when I try to write anything so I have decided not to bother. It's also so much effort for me to get stuff recorded (drums in particular are a challenge) that I simply don't have the inspiration any more.

I'm happy with the stuff I have done so far and enjoy listening to it, but I think I have done about as much as I can do given my playing and writing abilities. Anything else will just be the same stuff over and over again, and TBH I can't be arsed.

So I finally bought a pedal I have been considering for a while, a Hologram Microcosm. This is an amazing sound mangler with looping capabilities. I plan to do some live looping ambient post-rock stuff, purely instrumental. I realised that I mainly listen to that kind of stuff now anyway so I thought I would give it a go. I probably won't post much of it here as it will likely be a bit of an acquired taste. Or it may just be self-indulgent twaddle. Or both.

So yes, buy a new pedal......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

Quote from: Ferryman on February 03, 2022, 04:51:35 AMSo I finally bought a pedal I have been considering for a while, a Hologram Microcosm. This is an amazing sound mangler with looping capabilities. I plan to do some live looping ambient post-rock stuff, purely instrumental. I realised that I mainly listen to that kind of stuff now anyway so I thought I would give it a go. I probably won't post much of it here as it will likely be a bit of an acquired taste. Or it may just be self-indulgent twaddle. Or both.

So yes, buy a new pedal......

please do post some of it... I can't wait to hear it...sounds cool

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

this is an interesting subject.  I am guilty of doing similar songs etc.  I don't worry about it though because most people would never know.  The only ones would be me or a few on here that listen to alot of my stuff so I think every song is stand alone.

Sometimes to get me going from being bored with my stuff I do a cover or covers of songs.  The other thing is to collab.  I have to admit that I find colabs really quite difficult in that each person you work with does things a bit different and it takes time to get to know folks preferences.  I am quite sure that I have offended a few during the process without trying to.  This isn't really the thread for this but I will say it now anyway.  We are all very different.  I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of guy so working with folks who are very detail to the miniscule dot can be challenging for both parties.  I will say that the process has been worth it though as some of my absolute favorite musics have been colabs. 

Bruno is right...new gear can be inspiring... whether it is a pedal or a new mic.  Whatever gets you going down the creative path.  I think there is still much ground that can be broken just in the process of recording alone...  I learn from everyone who bothers to share what they do in their process.

I try to slow down a bit in doing songs and posting but.... if I finish something I am generally going to post it.  Tomorrow may never come!!!  So even if one person likes it, or listens to it and smiles, laughs, cries, throws something at the wall etc it was worth it...

I dig ya'lls music very much

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

bruno

Totally get the point of not wanting to repeat yourself, its quite disheartening to produce a piece, only to realize that you've done something similar in the past.
Therefore, new sounds and unusual layering's.

So some of the stuff I've thought about lately:

- I never write using the standard chord set, always looking for unusual sounding chords and progressions
- chromatic progressions up and down are your friend
- new sounds = new inspiration, that can be pedals or instruments you don't normally use. I really like the electribe for samples sounds for that
- mistakes are your friend, it will become part of the song. You strive for perfection, it sometimes becomes stale and stagnent
- write in parts (layers), not a single chord set. When you add 3 guitars playing different things, interesting things will happen. Remember you are not trying to write for a solo accoustic, you have a pallet of sounds to work with
- every one can sing, but you have to mean it
- play with emotion, you can stretch times and be dischordant, but you have to mean it. I've made an effort to stop playing the same old phrases when solo'ing as it becomes meaningless. If you play within your capabilities, but add dynamics and emotion, it always sounds better and more inspirational.
- having a good sound matters, work on getting the right sound, you will enjoy that alone when you play.
- Remember this is not life or death, but your hobby. Expect crappy songs in between the good ones, you will come up with a cracker every now and then
- No one ever wrote a song without playing - its okay to play and not record anything - that will be next time
- Go with the flow - all you need is the seed, the rest will grow of its own accord. Follow your muse.
- Remember, some songs you'll become sick off. But sometimes when you go back to them months after, they are invariably better than you remember

I could add more - but that is enough for now. Perhaps we should have a combined 10 rules for song production
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Ferryman

Wise words Bruno. Sadly for me, I've tried most of that. I found a music theory site I like (Signals Music Studio) and he has some great ideas. I've tried to use modes to drive songs in a different direction, and he has some great ideas about songwriting and creativity. Which I have employed on much of my recent stuff. But when I listen back to it, I can't get away from the fact the same core compositional and playing elements are in there, even if they sound different superficially.

The key point you have made is that this is a hobby, and I have fallen into the trap of trying to make stuff that I feel is of a certain quality. So I think doing different things more for my own consumption will bring back the hobby element.

BTW, not only did I buy a new pedal, I also splashed out on some custom pickups and am waiting on those. Maybe they will help.....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

Interesting stuff, that is a great point to remember... it is a hobby, it should be fun. That fear of posting something sub standard, I get it, but whatever the standard - and it's normally pretty high - I get a great satisfaction from following the musical journey of everyone on here. You can hear it, that in itself brings a good feeling and it's damn interesting too to hear how people develop.

And another great tip was changing things up... a new pedal ha! :) But that type of thinking has helped me finally make a decision... I am gonna buy a cheap bass... likely from Thomann. That might help bring something new out. Another purchase (further down the line) is gonna be some kind of cheapish guitar synth thingy, if only a cheaper pedal imitation version.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

TPB

Was in the same funk well my buddy bought me a partial cut capo simulates a drop d tuning but is really a A sus when put on it sounds nice and forced me to learn new chord positions. I did cover take me home on the cover section with the tuning. My mom recently passed and I played this song even though it just has basic chords D G A the capo in that tuning gave it a different flavor
otherwise I will hear little phrases in my head and work a song from there
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away