Daw for BR 800

Started by Hack81, February 01, 2022, 01:28:55 PM

Hey guys Im totally new to this forum but so happy to have found it! My question is what DAW software is compatible the most with the br 800? I bought mine used so I do not and have not ever got to use it like this and really want to give it a try before buying a new interface. Or should I just buy the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or something? My main goal is to have more control than a mouse, so if I could use the gear I have now which is the BR then Id be delited. Sorry if this has been asked before. Sincerely, Hack81

64Guitars

It sounds like you might be confusing the terms Control Surface and Audio Interface. A control surface has faders and buttons that you can use to control your DAW. An audio interface (Focusrite, for example) has no faders or buttons that can be used to control your DAW. It merely converts analog audio from a guitar, microphone, keyboard, etc. into digital audio which can be recorded in your DAW. It can also convert digital audio from your DAW into analog audio to drive a pair of speakers or headphones.

The BR-800 can function as both an audio interface and a control surface. To use it as a control surface, your DAW has to support Mackie Control Universal protocol. Fortunately, most of them do. So it's only a matter of going into the DAW's settings and selecting Mackie Control Universal for the control surface mode. For example, see the following page in the Reaper manual:

https://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide645c.pdf#page=298

The instructions for using the BR-800 as a control surface are on page 122 and page 123 of the BR-800 manual.

The instructions for using the BR-800 as an audio interface are on page 121 of the BR-800 manual.

The BR-800 has a sample rate of 44.1kHz and a bit depth of 24 bits. A separate audio interface such as the Focusrite can have much higher sample rates for better sound quality. For example, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which you mentioned supports the following sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, and 192kHz. But before you rush out and buy an audio interface, you should try using your BR-800 as an audio interface. You will probably find the sound quality perfectly adequate.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Blooby

I defer to 64's consistent brilliance above (and there is no sarcasm in the response whatsoever).

Welcome.

Blooby

IanR

Sonar used to the the "native" DAW for the BR800 but it is no longer available as "Sonar". Bandlab bought them out a few years back and you might be able to get a free download from them. Search for Cakewalk.

When that happened I dropped out of the Sonar world and went to Studio One. I am completely a Presonus nerd these days.

best wishes

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

godinqc

Yes Cakewalk by BandLab works fine with the BR800 as an audio interface. I use it all the time, I also use the  Scarlett  2i2 as an audio interface but the BR800 also works fine.
I've been using Cakewalk by BandLab since it's free and a really good DAW with no limitation on tracks and VSTs
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800