Dead output jack on my music keyboard (anyone got any ideas?)

Started by des0free, January 26, 2022, 08:24:02 PM

des0free

Casio CT-X3000 ($300): I plugged the output (headphone output) into my USB recording device without remembering to turn of the "48 v" phantom power (only needed for condenser mics), and now no sound comes out of that output.  So now I can't use it for recording  :(

Has anyone had an issue like that and attempted a fix?  With skilled repair labor costs (and 2 way shipping costs) being what they are, I imagine that getting it fixed would cost more than a new keyboard?

Being a nerdy physicist I of course opened up the keyboard to look at the circuit boards.  I hoped to spot maybe a broken connection or a "burnt out" component, but I didn't see anything suspicious. I did spot a tiny "8 legged" IC not far from the headphone output connector labeled "3547" which google suggests might possibly be a "headphone amplifier ic".  So I started thinking about replacing it.  But it is a very tiny "surface mount" chip, so difficult to remove/install with crude soldering techniques.  And I'm a bit afraid of messing up the whole keyboard, which does otherwise work.  But then again a keyboard I can't use for recording is really annoying to me...

Or maybe I can use this as an excuse to buy a brand new (and even fancier) keyboard?  :D
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

TPB

That sucks unless you wanted a new Key Board If you have a voltmeter I would start at the Jack check for voltage and then work back from there I have had Jack go bad if that is it easy fix, Oh do not forget your need a signal going to it when you  test each section  Press a key down.  I am thinking it is the chip you are thinking about if there is nothing wrong at the jack end. Sorry could not be more help.
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

des0free

Quote from: TPB on January 27, 2022, 01:25:29 PMThat sucks unless you wanted a new Key Board If you have a voltmeter I would start at the Jack check for voltage and then work back from there I have had Jack go bad if that is it easy fix, Oh do not forget your need a signal going to it when you  test each section  Press a key down.  I am thinking it is the chip you are thinking about if there is nothing wrong at the jack end. Sorry could not be more help.
Tim

Good suggestions, thanks.  Maybe I should go to work and get an oscilloscope.  I just hardly go in to work anymore as I've been working from home for a long time now...
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

TPB

LOL that is me I go into the office once or twice a month just so they know my face lol. Once I went in and every time I would go up to new people they would hurry to their desk and get busy. Found out when they asked who I was One of the people in the office told them I was from HR there to evaluate their jobs and who is not needed They thought it was pretty funny
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away