'Stand' original song by Greeny

Started by Greeny, June 09, 2009, 05:00:00 AM

Greeny

Quote from: holdempok on June 09, 2009, 02:48:44 PMAwesome as usual Tim. Hope all is well mate.

Hey! How's it hanging? Hope Double X are still packing them in at your gigs! Missed you mate. Come back soon.

Greeny

Quote from: Kody on June 09, 2009, 11:54:26 AMGreeny is why I joined this forum and the reason I bought a MBR....

Wow Kody. As someone I GREATLY admire as a musician and a vocalist, that means a lot. You are a STAR!

Ferryman

Stop it!!! I've just come to terms with how good Lyncanthropes is and now you post this! Stunning stuff, great song but you've really gone to town with the production. However, despite the effects, it's some of the simple things that really make this so good - the two basic guitars are beautifully recorded and provide a great foundation for all the other stuff. But the use of effects is very clever throughout, very distinctive but not overwhelming.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff and as always great lyrics with some very clever lyrical twists. I'll even forgive you the slight cheat with Audacity  ;)

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

fmgwabp  this is flipping amazing tim, to my ears your best song to date, i second hooper's comments regarding the production, am lost for words. just one thing tho
keep some good tunes for jemima's kitei know you will.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

How did I miss this Tim its a masterpiece! the production is simply fantastic....

Frank53

This is a terrific piece of work, Greeny. Very good song, lyrically and musically. Love the production qualities. I can hear the "Walrus" influence in the middle section - your use of delay and reverb, and the drum pattern. Looking forward to more.

Frank
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Greeny

Quote from: facemask93 on June 09, 2009, 10:59:33 AMBest vocal yet , and the rest speaks for it's self , i'd love to watch the process that you would use to record a song like this , it would be very inspirational , maybe that could be a project in the future , because  many people on this forum could benefit greatly from your knowledge.
Anyway , as all the other talented people have said , this has a professional feel to it , no doubt about that , my hat is now off to you forever , you are now officially my HERO   ( he bow's down )

Wow! Thanks! I don't really know what to say to that, lol.

In terms of production, I don't think I'm doing anything very clever - i.e. I don't have the mixing skills of Hooper, Bosko or Ferryman. All I do is what instinctively sounds right. Panning is the key though. That is definitely worth playing with, because it can make or break a song in my opinion. I spent a lot of years listening to how George Martin used panning, so when it came to my own recordings, I kind of already knew what I was after. But mixing can often count for nothing if the song just isn't there. It's hard to make a bad song or perfomance sound good, no matter what you do to it. I also work pretty hard getting my guitar tones right. Not in an anal, obsessive way - I just know what feel I'm after, and how it might sit in the overall mix. I'm pretty embarassed about my keyboard skills, so the synth-strings on this song are just instinctive floundering! I'll try to post a proper run-down of my 'process' when I next post a song.

Greeny

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 10, 2009, 04:42:27 AMkeep some good tunes for jemima's kitei know you will.

You can count on it!

AverGo

Really liked this, and look forward to your production lessons.