Micro BR Issue Redux?

Started by Korbon Axe, November 23, 2021, 05:21:48 PM

Hey folks I found this site searching the webs to find any info on a MBR that was having stereo timing problems.
I found a thread here concerning that issue. It was helpful to a point, but there weren't any conclusions drawn in the end.
I am having this same problem with a song I recorded.
The song starts out good but somewhere along the way(20 min. song) the Left and Right Channels separate in time. Alot! Maybe 2 seconds apart.
It's just like the other user described except perhaps with different applications of mixing, bouncing etc.
I do get the " drive busy-ok" 75% of the time I'm tracking.
I also got the card reader error sign once or twice after bouncing. (I undid those bounces and started over)
Unfortunately I don't know where along the tracking/bouncing stage the corruption started.
The MBR is practically brand new, never used. I dug it out after 10 years and started messing with it the other day. It has the original 2GB SD card it came with.
I don't know what else to add....
Is this thing just corrupted or did I make some error in the way I bounced? These were Stereo Line In tracks.
I don't see how it could be some bouncing error on my part as everything is on the same clock anyways.
Thank you. Any help or input of any kind would be appreciated.

64Guitars

Quote from: Korbon Axe on November 23, 2021, 05:21:48 PMI do get the " drive busy-ok" 75% of the time I'm tracking.
I also got the card reader error sign once or twice after bouncing. (I undid those bounces and started over)
Unfortunately I don't know where along the tracking/bouncing stage the corruption started.
The MBR is practically brand new, never used. I dug it out after 10 years and started messing with it the other day. It has the original 2GB SD card it came with.

The specifications for the Micro BR state that it can accept SD cards from 32MB to 1GB. They also state that the Micro BR ships with a 128 MB SD card. You shouldn't use cards that are larger than 1GB because the BR can't address that much memory.

See: https://www.boss.info/global/support/knowledge_base/201960939/

I'd recommend that you backup your current 2GB card then replace it with a 1GB SD card. Initialize the 1GB card in the Micro BR, then restore the backup to it.

If the memory card corruption prevents you from backing up the card, try exporting the tracks to WAV files. Then create a new song on the new 1GB SD card and import the WAV files into it so you can continue to work on the song.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Yep. I'd change the card. 64Guitars is the fountain of knowledge on stuff like this. Even then you'll occasionally get a card read error, but it usually clears if you go back and record a second or more on the armed track before the error kicks in. It's very rare that I've had to completely abandon anything.

Never had an issue like the one you describe though in 15 years. So it does sound like a card reading issue.

64Guitars and Greeny thank you for your replies.
I'll see what I can come up with. I did a search for small cap. SD cards the other day after reading the other fella's post and your responses.
These small, standard, SD cards don't look readily available.
Thanks again for your quick responses. I'm going to follow the SD card route on your advice Mr. 64 Guitars. The Boss Link was helpful too.

Hey!  I found an old 512MB SD card and formatted it to the MBR.
Now everything is working like a champ. No error messages. Perfect timing.
Thank you so much for your help Greeny and 64 Guitars.
BIG THANKS!!!!  :)

Greeny

Post your epic 20 minute track on the forum!

Quote from: Greeny on November 25, 2021, 10:46:31 AMPost your epic 20 minute track on the forum!
I lost the original song. I did another one today but it's not very good, mix wise. Mostly my fault.
I'm still learning the ins and outs of this MBR. 

guitarron

Welcome aboard Korban Axe. You'll get figured out. Loads of fun. It's a very useful tool

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand