NEW R20 Multitrack Recorder from Zoom - And now the R12 too!

Started by 64Guitars, November 17, 2021, 07:56:03 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on November 19, 2021, 05:55:50 AMBut we would like to have a recorder with:
* at least 8 inputs (16 if we start using acoustic drums, but that probably won't happen),
* phantom power on all inputs,
* easy transfer of files
* compressor FX on input
* quick setup of new songs (template or ability to easily copy an empty song fully set up)

ah I just realised only two jack inputs .... hmmmmm well

According to the specs on the Zoom website, the R20 can record up to 8 tracks simultaneously and play back 16 tracks simultaneously. It has 8 inputs but 6 of them are XLR only and only 4 have phantom power available (switchable on input 5/6 and 7/8). Inputs 1 and 2 are combi jacks which accept either XLR plugs or ¼" TRS plugs, but only input 1 can be set to Hi-Z for a guitar or bass. Files can be transferred very easily since they're in WAV format and there's a USB-C Host connector which can accept a USB flash drive for portable storage. No faffing about with USB cables or WAV converter software. Just copy the files directly to a USB flash drive, then plug the USB flash drive into your computer or whatever and copy the files directly to the desired folder. I haven't found a lot of information on the available effects yet. It definitely has a compressor but it's not clear whether it's only available as a track effect or if it can be applied to the inputs. I'm sure we'll learn more about the effects when the R20 is finally released outside of Japan. Templates are provided for quick setup of new song projects and it appears to allow you to create your own templates but I'm not sure of the details.

|
                                                       |
                                                       V

Quote from: Geir on November 19, 2021, 05:55:50 AMmaybe the TASCAM DP-24SD is a better choice...... any thoughts?
I'll do a feature comparison of the R20 and DP-24SD in another message later.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

As promised, here's a feature comparison of the Zoom R20 and the TASCAM DP-24SD.

Zoom R20                                     TASCAM DP-24SD
Price$399 US or £349 UK$499 US or £391 UK
Recording MediaSDHC card (4GB to 32GB)
or
SDXC card (64 GB to 1TB)
SD card (512MB to 2GB)
or
SDHC card (4GB to 32GB)
Included cardNone4GB SDHC card
PowerIncluded AC adapter onlyIncluded AC adapter only
Simultaneous recording8 tracks8 tracks
Simultaneous playback16 tracks24 tracks
(12 mono plus 6 stereo)
Number of Inputs88
Input connectors6 XLR
2 combi
(switchable Hi-Z on 1)
8 combi
(switchable Hi-Z on 1)
Phantom powerInputs 5-6 and/or 7-8Inputs 1-4 and/or 5-8
Sample rate44.1kHz44.1kHz or 48kHz
Bit Depth16 bit or 24 bit16 bit or 24 bit
Screen4.3-inch colour LCD (480 x 272)3.5-inch TFT colour LCD (320x240)
Touch Screen?YesNo
Virtual TracksNot sure. Perhaps unlimited.192 (8 per track)
Track formatWAVProprietary with import/export to WAV
Bluetooth?YesNo
Metronome?Yes (40-250 BPM)Yes (20-250 BPM)
Internal synth8-voice FM synth with
18 tones and PCM drum kit.
Can be controlled with
MIDI keyboard controller
attached to USB port or via
internal piano-roll editor.
None

On other Zoom multitrack recorders, you could change the name of the WAV file that the track is writing to. So, after recording a take on a track, you can change the filename so that subsequent recordings on that track will be written to a different file and the original file (first take) will still be available. By changing filenames, the number of takes you can record is limited only by the amount of storage space available. I assume the R20 will be able to do that too but I'm not certain. The TASCAM has 8 virtual tracks per track for a total of 192 virtual tracks. Since no file renaming is required, it's easier and faster to switch between virtual tracks.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

StephenM

I have a Zoom R24, an older version of this and what I do love about it is it can be battery powered on 6AA batteries that do quite well...and it is so portable...I often do my vocals in the camper or the truck or car...it's so easy to use the on board mics...
overall, it does a very good job and it's easy to get tracks off the zoom to a thumb drive and onto the DAW....
when I first got it, I didn't use it that much...but to be honest I really would not want to be without it now... I don't know much about the Tascam other than some reviews I read...
this is great info you provided 64...thanks...
and I also am happy someone continues to make a recording device that can be used as a DAW interface (my R24 can...)

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

64Guitars

Quote from: StephenM on November 19, 2021, 04:37:05 PMI have a Zoom R24
Quote from: StephenM on November 19, 2021, 04:37:05 PMit's easy to get tracks off the zoom to a thumb drive and onto the DAW....

I didn't realise that the R24 has a USB Host port. Cool! And so does the R16. Unfortunately, the R8 does not.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

alfstone

It's strange that no one here is talking about the Tascam Model 12 (mixer/interface/recorder/controller)

https://www.tascam.eu/en/model12

that's having a huge success worldwide...

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

64Guitars

Quote from: alfstone on November 21, 2021, 09:12:12 AMIt's strange that no one here is talking about the Tascam Model 12 (mixer/interface/recorder/controller)

https://www.tascam.eu/en/model12

that's having a huge success worldwide...

Those mixer/recorder products confuse me. Tascam has a range of mixer/recorders (Model 12, Model 16 and Model 24). They also have an even bigger range of multitrack recorders (DP-32SD, DP-24SD, DP-03SD, DP-008EX, and DP-006). If the mixer/recorders are full-featured multitrack recorders, then what is the point of their line of standalone multitrack recorders? Why haven't they been discontinued in favour of the mixer/recorders? Obviously, there must be some trade-offs in features. Otherwise, there'd be no point in offering both product lines.

It's the same with Zoom. They offer the LiveTrak L-8, L-12, L-20, and L-20R mixer/recorders, but they also offer a range of multitrack recorders (R8, R16, R24, and the new R20). If the LiveTrak products are great for multitrack recording, why offer a separate line of standalone multitrack recorders? And why release the new R20? Why not release a comparable mixer/recorder instead?

There must be some trade-offs. Unfortunately, I haven't looked at the mixer/recorder products closely enough to know what those trade-offs are. But I suspect that the mixer/recorders lack guitar effects such as amp simulators, tremolo, pitch shifter, distortion, etc. They probably also lack any sort of drum machine, virtual tracks, track bouncing, and track editing. They're obviously designed primarily to be great mixers and are probably aimed at bands for mixing and recording their live gigs and rehearsals. The recording capability is just an extra feature added to capture whatever is output from each mixer channel. On the other hand, the standalone multitrack recorders are designed primarily for multitrack recording and are aimed at bedroom producers, guitarists, and singer/songwriters.

A mixer/recorder might be worth considering for someone like Geir who wants to record his band Optimission. It might also be worth considering for someone who works mainly in a DAW and just wants a recorder to capture some raw tracks that they can import into their DAW, especially if they already have a multi-effects unit for their guitar or some guitar effects pedals, or if they prefer to apply their guitar effects in software.

For me personally, I want a recorder that has a good selection of built-in guitar effects and amp simulations. The elaborate mixing features of those mixer/recorders is overkill for my needs. I don't sing, so I don't need multiple XLR mic inputs with phantom power and high-quality mic preamps. Those are features that I'll never use. I just need a way to record several tracks of my guitar and bass with some good built-in effects and amp sims, and an easy way to get those tracks into my DAW (preferably with a USB memory stick). If the Zoom R8 had a USB Host port and was about $100 cheaper, it might be just the thing for me. For now, I'm still happy with my BR-864. I only wish it had a USB Host port and could write my tracks directly to it as WAV files. Maybe someday Zoom, Tascam or Boss will release an inexpensive recorder that meets my needs better than my BR-864. Until then, I'm content with the BR-864.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

alfstone

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Jean Pierre

ouch, thank you Santa Claus to put in my clogs at the foot of the tree
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track