Post your recent concert reviews here

Started by Blooby, June 07, 2009, 07:09:47 PM

kenny mac

Cool stuff ,looks like you all had a ball.
I went to see public image limited  at the  Glasgow ABC on a Wednesday and on Saturday the place had burnt to the ground along with the
Glasgow Art school  so I guess I was lucky.
John Lydons band was superb ,what a mix of loops and real instruments.
Very inspiring.

Greeny

My new favourite band is The Magpie Salute, driven by the amazing guitar work of Rich Robinson from the Black Crowes.

Their new album came out on 10th August, and by coincidence, they were playing for one night only in London. They're normally a big (10 piece?) band, but do a lot of gigs as an acoustic trio.

Sadly the small venue was sold out too fast and I failed to get a ticket.

But...

I discovered they were doing a signing in a London record store right before the gig. I went along and watched them perform the main 6 songs from the album - within touching distance! And got my two LP's signed!

It worked out way better than just being in the crowd at a proper gig.

They are hard-working, friendly and ultra talented guys. The guitar work is stunning. And they have a great mix of influences in their sound: Black Crowes Americana plus a folky and psychedelic, British flavour from their amazing (British) singer John Hogg.

Really recommend them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzdIFjO2VRA

Ferryman

Can see why you like them, I thought they were playing one of your tracks when "For the wind" started.... ;) Very interesting, will definitely listen to more of their stuff.

I can't post a review yet, but I am going to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets in September. Can't wait, they play early Floyd which is my favourite era.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

Quote from: Greeny on August 21, 2018, 06:11:50 AMMy new favourite band is The Magpie Salute, driven by the amazing guitar work of Rich Robinson from the Black Crowes.

Their new album came out on 10th August, and by coincidence, they were playing for one night only in London. They're normally a big (10 piece?) band, but do a lot of gigs as an acoustic trio.

Sadly the small venue was sold out too fast and I failed to get a ticket.

But...

I discovered they were doing a signing in a London record store right before the gig. I went along and watched them perform the main 6 songs from the album - within touching distance! And got my two LP's signed!

It worked out way better than just being in the crowd at a proper gig.

They are hard-working, friendly and ultra talented guys. The guitar work is stunning. And they have a great mix of influences in their sound: Black Crowes Americana plus a folky and psychedelic, British flavour from their amazing (British) singer John Hogg.

Really recommend them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzdIFjO2VRA

Thanks for that recommendation Tim!

Just listening now on YouTube. They are very good indeed!! (I always quite liked the black crows)
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Been away from the site for a little while but I did go to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets at the Roundhouse last week. The 74-year old drummer from Pink Floyd plus a few session musicians and Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet (!?) playing Syd Barrett-era Floyd songs and also early post-Barrett Floyd (pre-Dark Side).

Well, if you like early Floyd, this was the place to be. The Roundhouse was where Pink Floyd played one of their first ever gigs so it was a bit of a homecoming for Mason. Huge fun, a combination of short, sharp powerful stuff and long psychedelic wigouts. They even played some of Atom Heart Mother! They really gave some of the early stuff a nice powerful edge, they were almost Punk Floyd. It did get a bit weak in places, Gary Kemp was good on guitar but struggled a bit with some of the vocals. But overall it made this child of the 60s and 70s very happy, although I did find standing up for 2.5 hours a bit tiring! Nick Mason did amazingly well for a 74 year old, so there's hope for me yet (at a sprightly 61....).

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Quote from: Ferryman on October 01, 2018, 04:23:24 AMBeen away from the site for a little while but I did go to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets at the Roundhouse last week. The 74-year old drummer from Pink Floyd plus a few session musicians and Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet (!?) playing Syd Barrett-era Floyd songs and also early post-Barrett Floyd (pre-Dark Side).

Well, if you like early Floyd, this was the place to be. The Roundhouse was where Pink Floyd played one of their first ever gigs so it was a bit of a homecoming for Mason. Huge fun, a combination of short, sharp powerful stuff and long psychedelic wigouts. They even played some of Atom Heart Mother! They really gave some of the early stuff a nice powerful edge, they were almost Punk Floyd. It did get a bit weak in places, Gary Kemp was good on guitar but struggled a bit with some of the vocals. But overall it made this child of the 60s and 70s very happy, although I did find standing up for 2.5 hours a bit tiring! Nick Mason did amazingly well for a 74 year old, so there's hope for me yet (at a sprightly 61....).

Sounds like a great show, Nigel - wish I could see them! Maybe they'll tour the US...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ferryman

Quote from: cuthbert on October 01, 2018, 01:21:50 PMSounds like a great show, Nigel - wish I could see them! Maybe they'll tour the US...
Keep your eyes peeled, Nick Mason is apparently loving every minute of the tour and there is quite a lot of demand for them to go to the US. So it might happen.

Unmissable if you like early Floyd.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pete C

My wife's taste in music is often very different from mine, her family and friends. As nobody else would go with her, I reluctantly found myself at the Guild Hall in Preston (UK) last Sunday watching Chris Norman. He was the singer in the 70's band Smokie (Living Next Door to Alice, etc.). With my spirits raised by a few pre-gig pints of Peroni, I must admit I quite enjoyed it.  The theatre at the Guild Hall is a small venue so we had a good view of the stage and he performed all the Smokie hits together with some of his (unknown to me) post-Smokie work. Mrs C thoroughly enjoyed it so a few brownie points for me for going with her !

Pete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqsG59bD5eM
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Farrell Jackson

Thanks for posting that video up Pete...it was quite rockin' and entertaining!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

kenny mac

I recently went to see my nephew's new band sweaty palms.
I had forgotten how exciting it was to see new raw talent in an old dingy sweat soaked gig.
Very inspiring.
New music does exist outside the corporate box.