In The Nick Of Time - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, September 26, 2021, 10:47:20 AM

AndyR

Quote from: StephenM on September 29, 2021, 05:33:37 AMfunny you mentioned Taylor Swift...  about 10 years ago I watched a documentary on her and I was so impressed with her drive to be a singer songwriter at such a young age I got some, quite a bit, of her early music... I must say she is very clever.  Doesn't hurt that she is beautiful either..
I must say though her newer stuff doesn't really do it for me. 
Impressive story on how she actually got that good that young...

When you say "newer stuff", do you mean the two double albums last year (Folklore and Evermore)? Or do you mean the "dance" "pop" stuff like Reputation and such? If it's the latter, check out the former... It was those two new ones last year, released without any fanfare, that dragged me in (I got them for Mrs R for Christmas because the first was on her wishlist, and then TS released another without warning a day or so after I ordered). I was so impressed I went on from there and bought everything... Speak Now, third album, is my favourite and kind of where this one comes from, but I kinda dig all the stuff she does. I ordered 1989 and Reputation with trepidation and holding my nose... but I love them just as much now.

BTW, I was telling my old lead guitarist about the TS connection to this one, and how it has affected my songwriting.

And I realised that I hadn't explained here that this isn't a first for me - every now and then I get into an artist that bowls me over... I can see and understand what they're trying to do (and succeeding at it), I want some of it, and it changes what I do in some way. I'm often "late to the party" on appreciating the artiste.

It happened to me with Queen in 1980 or so. The Beatles in the 90s (much to the distress of half the band I was in, but not the guitarist). Also Jethro Tull, mid 80s to mid 90s. And Del Amitri, BIG TIME, almost as strong as this latest Taylor Swift thing. The Del Amitri thing happened to me in the 90s, after they'd had their big hits. Sadly, how Del Amitri do it still kind of evades me, I've never quite figured out what it is they've got that I want... but I must have soaked up something.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

StephenM

Quote from: AndyR on September 29, 2021, 08:17:29 AM
Quote from: StephenM on September 29, 2021, 05:33:37 AMfunny you mentioned Taylor Swift...  about 10 years ago I watched a documentary on her and I was so impressed with her drive to be a singer songwriter at such a young age I got some, quite a bit, of her early music... I must say she is very clever.  Doesn't hurt that she is beautiful either..
I must say though her newer stuff doesn't really do it for me. 
Impressive story on how she actually got that good that young...

When you say "newer stuff", do you mean the two double albums last year (Folklore and Evermore)? Or do you mean the "dance" "pop" stuff like Reputation and such? If it's the latter, check out the former... It was those two new ones last year, released without any fanfare, that dragged me in (I got them for Mrs R for Christmas because the first was on her wishlist, and then TS released another without warning a day or so after I ordered). I was so impressed I went on from there and bought everything... Speak Now, third album, is my favourite and kind of where this one comes from, but I kinda dig all the stuff she does. I ordered 1989 and Reputation with trepidation and holding my nose... but I love them just as much now.

BTW, I was telling my old lead guitarist about the TS connection to this one, and how it has affected my songwriting.

And I realised that I hadn't explained here that this isn't a first for me - every now and then I get into an artist that bowls me over... I can see and understand what they're trying to do (and succeeding at it), I want some of it, and it changes what I do in some way. I'm often "late to the party" on appreciating the artiste.

It happened to me with Queen in 1980 or so. The Beatles in the 90s (much to the distress of half the band I was in, but not the guitarist). Also Jethro Tull, mid 80s to mid 90s. And Del Amitri, BIG TIME, almost as strong as this latest Taylor Swift thing. The Del Amitri thing happened to me in the 90s, after they'd had their big hits. Sadly, how Del Amitri do it still kind of evades me, I've never quite figured out what it is they've got that I want... but I must have soaked up something.
I will check out those albums on your recommendations.....and Del Amitri as well...thanks...and I know it's tedious but i really appreciate your posts about your process and others on here as well...I don't always state it but I do apply many things I have learned not only in recording but in songwriting and also playing (SE as a rhythm guitarist really has me thinking in new ways and all without saying anything, simply by being blown away by what he does)....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Oldrottenhead

Hi Andy, regarding Del Amitri there is a great documentary on Sky Arts on their catch up player it might give you some insight into there approach and methods of recording.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on September 29, 2021, 12:01:44 PMHi Andy, regarding Del Amitri there is a great documentary on Sky Arts on their catch up player it might give you some insight into there approach and methods of recording.

I think we saw it a couple of weeks back - it's the one all about making the new album Fatal Mistakes? (There's some really good stuff on there - check out a song called Musicians and Beer)

It had some cool stuff about their recording and working together, it was mighty cool about the young producer working with them... But for the "secrets" of Justin Currie's songwriting that I was looking for x years ago (late 90s) ... there wasn't anything more enlightening than I came across back then, it just showed me they're a bunch of old gits like the rest of us! LOLOLOLOL
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: AndyR on September 29, 2021, 01:17:14 PM
Quote from: Oldrottenhead on September 29, 2021, 12:01:44 PMHi Andy, regarding Del Amitri there is a great documentary on Sky Arts on their catch up player it might give you some insight into there approach and methods of recording.

I think we saw it a couple of weeks back - it's the one all about making the new album Fatal Mistakes? (There's some really good stuff on there - check out a song called Musicians and Beer)

It had some cool stuff about their recording and working together, it was mighty cool about the young producer working with them... But for the "secrets" of Justin Currie's songwriting that I was looking for x years ago (late 90s) ... there wasn't anything more enlightening than I came across back then, it just showed me they're a bunch of old gits like the rest of us! LOLOLOLOL
you should also check out the posthumous realese by Gerry Rafferty "Rest in Blue" compiled by his daugher. It is sublime.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Johnbee

This song has everything.  Excellent melody, well thought out lyrics and great performance and production values and your vocal work is the icing on the cake.  Enjoyed this very much.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

AndyR

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on September 29, 2021, 01:27:41 PMyou should also check out the posthumous realese by Gerry Rafferty "Rest in Blue" compiled by his daugher. It is sublime.

WHOA!! It's on order, arrives tomorrow. Cheers!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Mike_S

Damn Andy... this is really top drawer. It's right up there and would rub shoulders very comfortably with some of the "big" pro artists out there. It's a fantastic. I love the vocal and the extra wellie you give it towards the end in places in that vocal... really punches out of the speakers. Thanks for sharing.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Hook

Dude, this fucking stellar!!! Clearly the jump to daw has suited you. The depth of this production is massive and just perfectly executed. Strong Bowie vibe from this, love it.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Redler

I can't listen to this...there's player on the opening message, but no file. Tried this via jukebox as well...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR