In The Nick Of Time - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, September 26, 2021, 10:47:20 AM

BerryPatch

Had to give this one another listen, flipping radio ready man. Flawless

chapperz66

Marvelous song of course Andy.  Absolutely marvelous.

I'm so glad you got the DAW bug in general, and studio one in particular.  I knew you would enjoy and race towards mastery of it, although I would have felt a bit personally responsible if you had invested in it but hated it after recommending it.  And talking of mastering - you certainly have the loudness issue totally under control. Beautifully in-your-face but clear and dynamic.

Awesome. 

Paul

Farrell Jackson

Beautifully written, performed, engineered, produced and mixed Andy! My ears say your new recording set up is fantastic. It makes me think it's time to take the plunge into DAW recording.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

TPB

Think your move to the DAW has paid off I listened to mix and it is outstanding along with the song everything sounds like it has it's own space in the mix well done
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

AndyR

Aw guys :)
Thank you so much for your kind words
I feel quite overwhelmed actually...

I have loads of secrets to divulge, I've learnt so much in the last few months, not sure how to get all the info out...

For the song itself, it's as simple as this: I found Taylor Swift last December. I'm kind of in awe of her songwriting. I decided to relearn how to write based on what she does.

In The Nick Of Time was the first one off the A4 pad once I'd figured out some of what she does.
I've got several others since then, some may be better, or may not be, who knows.

Recording-wise, there's loads more to learn yet. I'm just trying to keep it simple at the moment.

Oh, before I forget, the bass - it's OK, a little messy here and there, but the sound/tone caused a HUGE amount of trouble during mixing. That's all I was talking about. I couldn't get the mix I wanted because of the bass part. In the end, it was either record the part I really wanted (with a less woofy bass sound) or compromise somehow to get the kick, bass and keyboards giving us something else. I went for the second option.

Mastering - that helped me reach that decision.

In Studio One Professional there's a "Project" view where you import mixes ready to master an EP or an album or... whatever (in my case 50 old raw unmastered mixes off the BR1600!).

So I was mastering Nick with the last four: Silver Pillow, I Give In, The Practical Gardener, and When I Try To Be Me.
Taking some of the bottom end off of Nick brought them closer in tone as if they could be on the same album, enabled me to get Nick louder without too much squishing, and it helped me decide the bass fitted well enough as it was (and it didn't go booming on the Russe stereo anymore!).

Listening again just now, I can still hear the mastering compromises I've made (pushing into the limiter) - but it was kind of deliberate, based on "sound" not "put up with it to get louder": it gives a pleasing scrunch on the loud bits. I'm kind of relieved you guys think it crisp and clear (it's not as crisp and clear as the actual mix is ;D).

Again, many thanks, and fingers crossed for the next thing whatever it is. I might even record several at once now.

(I'm actually remastering the old ones in batches, I might be doing that first before tuning anymore guitars - see how the mood takes me :))

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Blooby

This was utterly fantastic. I look forward to future posts if this is an early venture with Studio One.

A BIG wow.

Blooby

kenny mac

That is one stellar performance, im amazed by the quality of this.
The stuff coming out of this site at the moment us better than any of the shit out there hands down.
My phone is full of songs from this site.
Excellent  Andy.

hardlock

Fine song, bass and all. Everything's said already but I concur, it's a tremendous song in all regards! I Love it! 8)
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

StephenM

funny you mentioned Taylor Swift...  about 10 years ago I watched a documentary on her and I was so impressed with her drive to be a singer songwriter at such a young age I got some, quite a bit, of her early music... I must say she is very clever.  Doesn't hurt that she is beautiful either..
I must say though her newer stuff doesn't really do it for me. 
Impressive story on how she actually got that good that young...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

hooper

So good! A great performance and a very entertaining listen with lots of little surprise nuggets along the way. Obviously well thought out and a lot of attention given to details. Congratulations on this top-notch production! 
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE