"As It Is"-Original

Started by Johnbee, September 07, 2021, 08:34:42 AM

Johnbee

As It Is128
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This song starts with the question, "Why do I do this?  What's the point?"  There are other easier hobbies I could could explore that wouldn't be quite so nerve-racking but when I reach the end of the long process it suddenly becomes worth it.  The last part of the song, I guess, reveals the reason.

All my life, through all my days
Seeing the world through my eyes
A narrow scope brings little hope
to my worthless blind conclusion
If I think too much about it
I lose perspective of why
I began to search within
for something that I'll never realize

Progress made, but comes too slow
Taking one day at a time
Getting by with little stride
as the words soon lose their meaning.
If I could see past the void
blocking my view of of the dream
I could write one million songs
without repeating all the same rhymes

As time is drawing nearer to another phase
my mind drifts to here & there
seeking out the only answer

Take me to the highest mountain
or take me to a valley
I will find some inspiration
out of my grand surrounding

Take me to the countryside
or take me to the city
I'll create the poetry
to leave behind my legacy

c2021 John Bowen Music

Sorry I've not been around much lately.  I will take a listen to some other's songs later today.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Groundy

Nice one John, good to hear you again.... Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

SteveB

Closed my eyes on the Orig Songs Board and just clicked, and hey! This sprang onto my speakers. Y'know, this kind of ruminative-dialogue exploration in song, always sounds and reminds of those introspective American songwriters Randy Newman, Dean Friedman et al, which is a dang-plus point to begin with, and then to wrap it up in a fluid, jazzy-style keys-and kitchen-sink ensemble (I'm sure I counted everything in the mix!!), is quite a feat and quite masterful. John B, well done sir, if this is your niche, you've found it. Way to go!   8) 8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

guitarron

It's soothes the  soul. That's why I do it. Frustrating at times. But a finished product always feels good. Also, I can't bowl for shit.
This jazzy number is right up my alley. The drums really accentuate your soulful sounding piano and vocals.
Nice work.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Classy, thoughtful and poignant as always, with lots of sonic ground covered. I especially loved the extended latin jazz interlude and the beautiful resolution of the last two verse parts. Delightful piano throughout and masterful arranging. The fade out reminds me of the end of Wichita Lineman - full of emotion. Wonderful!

Geir

Really a wonderful song with original and beautiful phrases in the melody.

A really pro production and the performance is stellar

Well done. Hope to hear more soon
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Blooby

Lovely keys playing. This is a cool arrangement (loved the strings and instrumental passage). It sits somewhere between prog and Broadway. Really enjoyed this one.

Blooby

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

I've found that doing music helps me with stress and it's a bit of escapism from the mundane things of day to day life.
This is a really great song, lyrically and musically. It reminds me of Christopher cross songs.
Lovely jazz feel but also as someone said a prog feel too. I can imagine this being in some broadway musical too.
Great vocals and music all round.

Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

BerryPatch

Brilliant song, I especially love bass throughout, I love all the little slides and what not. Some great poignant lyrics, you always seem to put so much though into your words and it really shows. Love the piano as well and the funky twist in the middle is a great, unexpected shift. I love to hear from you John!

Ferryman

I think we can all sympathise with the sentiments here John  :D It's another very classy song. I love the way you balance the bass, drums and keys to anchor the song. As (primarily) a bass player, I hate it when I have to struggle to hear the bass. Your arrangement and mix creates space for all three, and although there's a lot going on melodically it works really well.

The composition here is one of your best. There's so many different sections, I particularly liked the change between the verse and the instrumental sections. Also, the more staccato section towards the end with strings and piano is really effective. But the whole thing is fantastic and really holds your attention. Great vocal over the top and lovely production, it was worth the wait  ;)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR