"Just A Song" a Hook original

Started by Hook, August 31, 2021, 06:43:55 AM

Hook

Just A Song
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This started out more as a riff on the uke but became a progression. All but the bass was done in the car. Drums are garageband app, percussion is Drumjam app.
1 fingerpicked uke (stereo)
1 drums (stereo)
1 aux percussion (stereo)
1 bass
1 vocal (stereo)
1 psychedelic uke solo (stereo)
Just A Song
written & performed by Hook
I had become dependent
& complacent with it's presence
& just when I needed it the most
The universe asserts it's independence
& my path is forked & forked again
& each of those paths forks into dead ends
Into caver, caverns, canyons or cliffs
How I wish for wings & wind to give me lift

I have no rock to hold onto
& the current here is strong
My efforts go without reward
& I'm left as always with
Just a song

It's a perfect storm of shit
That has completely hit the fan
& scattered any comfort
Shredded every plan
Into the saddest pieces of confetti
That just won't let you celebrate
They just litter every corner
with debt, debris & hate

I have no moral highgound
I'm wading pretty deep
& the waters keep on rising
until all the ground is gone
& I'm left as always with
Just a song

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

StephenM

just so way beyone lovely...just fantastic...that music resonates goodness... i love the bass down under that beauty uke play.... what a great recording...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

guitarron

Great lyrics. Seems like praise here is the reward. Really great lyrics and vocals Hook.

Love the —"it's the perfect storm of shit that hascompletely hit the fan"

F*n awesome.

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ray Brookes

Such an original and creative song with that lovely uke playing underscored with that soft bass and cool lyrics. Brill vocal work too.
Ray Brookes

Greeny

A very different and interesting chord progression. Has a mysterious, exotic feel, with some lovely changes. It's quite a trip - epic and dramatic as you build the vocal intensity. So many lovely things going on. Excellent.

Groundy

Youre on the ball, Hook, really producing such fantastic music, another keeper for me.
Brilliant sounds from your Uke...

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Ferryman

This is lyrically very deep and very well written, and your vocal performance is superb (again!). I love the feel of this one, the percussion really creates an interesting vibe and the ukes are very nicely done. I really like the psychedelic uke work, you really make that instrument sound most non-uke like! Some lovely chord changes in there as well. Another belter from Hook, loved it.   

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Zoltan

There's a lot of personality to this song. The uke playing and the rhythmic flourishes are at the center with the character filled vocals drawing attention to the lyrics. There are many great lyrical lines in this one. The lead guitar playing had a sound - feel that reminded me of a flock of seagulls. I think this song need more than one listen to really sink in :) There's so much to digest. Cool stuff!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Blooby

Lordy, that last verse has quite the depressing imagery. Hope all is well on your end.

That  uke works well with that clave. Quite jaunty in contrast to those lyrics. Cool post.

Blooby

Mike_S

Another one I am glad I caught before it drops off the latest songs radar. Hook this is a gem. That main uke melody is a thing of beauty. The lyrics are wonderful, dark but wonderful and dark is always good with me. I get echoes of Steve Howe\Yes on the guitar... just checked it's uke... sorry the uke solo! How did you get all that out of a uke! Anyway, love it.

Mike 
recorder
iPad GarageBand