Country Star

Started by Zoltan, August 29, 2021, 08:51:14 AM

Zoltan

Country Star
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's a work in progress.

The lyrics are simple, but i guess a small disclaimer is in order as the lyrics can be understood in so many ways. They're quite loaded with meaning.

There's no age-based discrimation going on with the lyrics. The story is told both from outsiders and from the protagonists perspective. That whole "they said life gets better at age X" is something i've heard so many times, and with different meanings. The "they just make me sing these songs" = the songs that audiences expect, but feel like a burden to the performer. Also the feeling of being too old for this sh*t :)
The choruses are intentionally blurring the word CoUNTry into something less family friendly. Once again i was thinking this from two perspectives. The aging performer is seen as a troublesome person because of what he's become. And also it isn't easy being a c....
The second verse puts the "blame" on the protagonist in a way that things might be easier with different life choices.

The vocals sound obnoxious... I was trying to channel my inner Jello Biafra :)

COUNTRY STAR

V1
Life ain't easy when you're 69 years old
They said that life gets better when you grow that old

CH
But i ain't much of a country star
They just make me sing these songs
But life ain't easy for a country star
When you're one foot down underground

V2
Whiskey, women and pills take all my time
Nobody ought to be coward all his life

CH
But i ain't much of a country star
They just make me sing these songs
But life ain't easy for a country star
When you're one foot down underground

Keychange

V3
Fame ain't what it used to be
No money, no honey, no satisfaction guarantee(d)

Ch
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Hilary

Sounds great, definately worth finishing off. It's funny, I've also been writing a song about getting old today . . .
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

guitarron

I like the Iggy vibe. Guitar tones and vocal sound remind me of  the old Detroit scene. Finish her up

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

Thanks for the comments! :) I uploaded a new version with V3 and last chorus... I might revisit the whole thing at some point.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ray Brookes

Love that guitar riff and this track rocks along very nicely. Cool lyrics too.
Ray Brookes

cuthbert

Sounds great! I get the DK vibe listening (although the subject matter might count as whimsical - for them!). Looking forward to where you may take it next.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

I loved it. Definitely needs finishing. the song /Your vocals reminded me of "Harpo" sang "movie star" 1975. had to look it up, knew it reminded me of something. Love the guitars, great lyrics and tell a good story in them.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

StephenM

Don't think you need the disclaimer....most of us on here have learned not to read too much into the lyrics....
this is another really good writing...fun idea...but it don't sound country at all to me...it's quite rockin to me...
life ain't easy....for anybody.....we just think it is...ha....ha...ha...
good song Z

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Groundy

Sounds good.... Nice guitar riffs.... Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Ferryman

Sounds like The Cramps meets Iggy Pop in a C&W bar! Huge fun, I love the open production and those guitar riffs. Some really nicely played guitar lines and the rhythm work is superb. It all worked great for me, I really like your style and approach. Very  8)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR