Wonderland by StephenM collab w/ thetworegs & mike_S

Started by hardlock, August 14, 2021, 05:17:34 PM

hardlock

Wonderland-Full Mix-V2
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This song started with a StephenM's unnamed guitar song I liked and offered to add backing. He asked me to document what I did with his 2 mono guitar rhythm tracks that I started with but the process was pretty straight forward. First I panned them to the maximum sides and balanced the volumes and created a stereo track to work with. Then added bass, drums to taste which created a pretty good backing track. Then I added piano and some organ. Might be considered a stand alone instrumental at this point:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=31525

I then added Trevor's outstanding vocals and Mike_S ripped an outstanding guitar lead for it. A few tweaks later and here's the result. It's not a perfect clean mix but that seems to be my style....to much of a good thing....None-the-less, it's become one of my favorites! Hope you enjoy it too!

UPDATE: Uploaded a revised version based on everyone's comments so far. Has stronger drums in the 1st half along with pushing the vocals a bit.

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Nelson

Jezz
Love it all from first to last beat. I mean the organ and the piano panned apart sounds gorgeous, as do the guitars /bass and of course  Trevor's vocals... is the icing on the cake.
The arrangement and the mix is to die for.

U playing the drums?
recorder
Reaper

recorder
Boss BR-600

StephenM

Ken is playing drums...that's how this whole thing started...I know Ken is a drummer and he loves to play on others tunes...the problem is I play also though not as well..but I like it so...I had actually 4 guitar tracks that I sent Ken to play drums on and actually already had a drum track but decided I wanted to hear what Ken would play ... so he dumped the 2 acoustic guitar tracks...really really scrubbed those other two guitars clean and added bass and drums...then he did the keyboards...before I ever even thought of Ken playing on this I asked Trevor to sing about 1 minutes worth of lyrics...the idea was to have 3 different singers do about a minute...That obviously didn't happen but this did...so essentially it's a cool jam song with a great Mike S lead and about 1:30 of Trevs vocals...

I think Ken did an amazing amount of work, and good work on this...all I did was have the idea and provide 2 guitar tracks....
Trev as usual provided his genius as seen all over the site here...
and I love Mike S guitars...just one of my favorites...

Ken is a great producer eh?

and if you read this far I am producing a very psychadelic version of this that I will put out down the road somewhere...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

The Jabberwocky he walks
The Jabberwocky he talks
The Jabberwocky he knows
That there is no secret to disclose
the hatter ran away on his toes
Carrying the sun as he goes
The moon laughed and the cat cried 
And the owl read his book he was wise

Yeah
Yeah 

The queen did scream for a head
As the cards fell over each other out of bed
They splattered all over the floor
Alice came over eating cake to inspect
She grew big she grew so tall
She stepped backwards and began to fall
Down and down she went
 right under the bed

Yeah

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

hardlock

Good to have the lyrics posted as well.

Thanks for the good words!  I'm never totally happy with any of my mixes and the more systems I hear a song on, the many different versions I hear. I'm now thinking the vocals may need pushing or the organ reduced some? Any advise greatly welcome!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Ferryman

This is a whole mass of psychedelic goodness! I love the separation and movement in the acoustic guitar tracks, and all the other instruments sound great. I think the organ is fine if you are going for a kind of psychedelic vibe. The vocals are vey cool and I love the lyrics. Biggest thing for me is that IMO the drums are way too low, I can hardly hear them at all until the later part of the song. But then I like loud clattery drums a la Steve Lillywhite  :D

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Zoltan

Wacky and weird! Psychedelic weirdness with an almost progeish feel at times. The melodic hooks are great, and the organ playing is a perfect fit. The drum fills are also worth a mention.

Gotta hear this on repeat :)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Great job on the mix Ken and top organ /piano playing. You done marvels with all of the elements. How you did it I don't know. A lot of vision to create this  slice of psychadelic coolness.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Johnbee

Great tune overall.  One suggestion I could make is to bring up the drums a bit more in the mix.  Ken's performance is very dynamic but It seems to be back a bit too far and you need to hear those crash cymbals and toms more.  But by and large you guys did a great job with this.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Ray Brookes

Cool creative arrangement and some excellent musicianship going on in this track. The drumming is so cool and in the groove a la Ginger Baker; Ken, you keep better time than a Rolex. Great collab, guys.
Ray Brookes