My Girl Is So Fine

Started by Zoltan, August 02, 2021, 03:40:15 PM

Mike_S

This is great, great energy. The energy can get lost if over thought/over produced, so for me this sounds alive. That's some great guitar riffing... a hint of Hawkwind in there. Seeing as folk are commenting on the vocal, I think you did a good job, if that's how you felt it in the moment that's good enough for me, I think it fits the spriit of the song, but I would tweak the levels or eq it a bit to get it to stand out a bit more. Other than that, great tune!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bishmanrock

Loving the drive in this song, proper chugger. Regarding vocals, I'd say the biggest issue is they're a bit lost in the mix - the guitars seem to drown them out almost instantly.

recorder
Cubase

StephenM

Glad you didn't bin this because believe it or not I like this one better...actually to me they are two totally different songs... completely different and have merit on their own...but I love the rawness of this...and I really dig the vocals..

my 1 complaint is that it could have had a touch of a guitar solo to make it a wee bit longer...but I love guitar so....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Zoltan

StephenM, Bishmanrock: I guess i might (that's always the question ;)) have improved on the vocals on this version, but i don't usually perform well with these kinds of songs. I've avoided singing my whole life, and i only started when i needed to make song demos for other people.
The vocal track here was done direct to Micro BR in the car, and i think i used some effects for it also. The "woo hoo" and the obnoxious sounding (it was meant to be irritating) part at the end of the break were improvised at the same time as i did the vocals. So it's a one pass take with all those thingies thrown into it. I think i did one other track with less performing, and more thinking about where the lyrics would fit.
The lyrics were improvised based on our little dog being in heat and feeling restless :) In my mind i thought the lyrics might at first sound like "classic chauvinistic rock" lyrics, and then the catch would that they were in fact about a dog.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

StephenM

I totally get not liking your voice.... last year, a few months after joining SC I almost entirely quit singing...thanks to some encouragement from Mike S and a few others I didn't and determined to find my niche and my style...and while I have not necessarily nailed any style best for me I have at least come to grips with that fact that not everyone likes my singing or for that matter anyone elses either... I know people who think Neil Young sucks...Bruce Springsteen...even Steve Perry...so there is no way in the world everyone will like you or I either.
But I think your vocal on this sounds great... and for me the song is ok as is...but I totally get the "need" or desire to make it better. 
i suppose in the long run what makes you happy is best.  I would say once again that I really do like the vocal on this...and I'm not blowing any smoke either!

hope this doesn't sound like a lecture...just more like a pep talk I hope... thanks for sharing this...

here is a link to the song that almost made me quit singing... I love this song though...it has a "Moody Blues" feel to me.  https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30362.msg359639#msg359639

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Hilary

I like your voice and I record all my vocals on the internal speakers on the BR. I have tried recording on the car but found there was weird acoustic feedback.

The lyrics were a bit swallowed on this but that's easily fixed.

This is the start of a whole new adventure of self expression  :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

thetworegs

Definitely don't bin it's a cracking track just need to push those vocals I know easier said than done but it'll be well worth the try

If Life is a dream then use your imagination