Sinful Dwarf ( J & Manning, old song)

Started by Zoltan, August 01, 2021, 03:53:01 AM

Zoltan

Sinful Dwarf (J&Manning)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's an old demo song that's over an decade old. Just for fun... The idea behind this was to do something that's kinda like those 60-70's era spaghetti western themes (For example Django), but with a more "Spanish" -feel.

The song idea was recorded with Reaper using a crappy USB Microphone that had horrible latency issues all the time. For the lead guitar sound i used the SimulAnalog Guitarsuite Vst. The main chord progression is based on a simple (common) idea that my mother used to play when i was young. She had the fingerstyle Flamenco thing down. And when i did this i was foolish enough to try to do the same :) It's a thing i never learned, and i remember hitting the record and immediately starting to sweat and having trouble playing ;)
The lead guitar parts are improvised, and something that i gringe at times, but there's not much i can do. I lost the songfiles on a computer crash, and i could never do those vocals! The song is a joint operation with my old songwriting partner and he really hit the song out of the ballpark. My original take had more "Leonard Cohen" -esque type of vocals, and i was hoping to hear a more operatic take, and boy was i happy with these SCRATCH vocals. Almost forgot. The "doo doo" part in the vocals was there to suggest a melodic theme to be played. This was the way we worked. Throwing ideas back and forth. The melody is already there, but as it's a demo there wasn't any editing done (like removing the doo doo -part).
Anyway there's too much talk already, so hear the song if you will. This time i don't bother typing the lyrics as they don't suffer from Finglish ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

hardlock

Great piece! Lots of good contrasting styles to enjoy - the flamingo guitar, electric lead, killer percussion (dig the little fills!) double vocal, it's all good! Get's some country style (or is that western?) going there with the melody. All in all, paints a complex but surprisingly familiar and fulfilling scene!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

StephenM

I love this one... it's really nice and that flamenco lead sounds great as the does the electric sounding lead...
I hear nothing but goodness on this one...I love long solos and so this one does it but could have continued even longer
it has a life this one...a good life..
nice style
vocally your friend reminds me of the great James Young of Styx (in the higher parts of the vocals)
it's a winner...you likely would just screw it up re doing it...(I don't know I could be wrong)

btw, I almost always throw all my tracks away now because if I ever decide to redo a song... it would make me actually redo it..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

BerryPatch

Excellent track, I love the vocals on here and the lead playing at the end is very tasteful. Cool songwriting too, definitely has a bit of 70s acid folk vibe going.

cuthbert

Interesting mix of styles - the contrast between Spaghetti Western (love 'em) soundtrack and operatic-style vocal does draw me right in.

Well done!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ferryman

Very cool track and a very intriguing title! Loving that flameco style guitar and the sounds all round. Your voice sounds pretty good on this and the vocal style works well for the track. Really nice guitar solo as well. Very different, very enjoyable, a great listen.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bishmanrock

Great sounding track, nailed the tone with it, feels quite full and complete to me!

recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

Fantastic song....makes me think of the great Ween....really cool idea and execution...love the lead solo outro

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand