Greetings from Finland!

Started by Zoltan, July 26, 2021, 02:51:43 AM

Zoltan

I've been playing for a long time, and sometimes i've felt that i'm progressing backwards. After years of playing in bands the family life got me (that same old song!).
Over the years i did some half-finished recordings with Reaper and collaborated with a nice English gent. Then there were a few years of avoiding the guitar and getting into keyboards and synths. Lately i've been back to guitar and feeling more like myself again. Keyboards are ok, but i'm not born to play them ;)
Anyhow the reason for registering to this forum is that although I TRIED NOT TO start doing songs again, i just got the call and couldn't avoid it. After getting lots of gear i ended up buying Boss Micro BR 80. I've only had it for a while, but what a change it is to make songs with this rather than watching the computer screen and getting bogged down on other stuff.
While researching what other people have done with this, i found the songs from Greeny and that was the real dealmaker for me getting the Micro BR. If someone can do such cool songs and still be inspired with it (in the year 2021!) it can't be anything but good. So here i am. Slowly learning and listening to what other people are doing.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Bishmanrock

Hey Zoltan, welcome to the boards! I know the feeling about feeling like you're going backwards, but sounds like you're got the hunger (does it ever really leave?), glad you found the gear that excites you and look forward to seeing what you do with it!

recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

Hi Zoltan, i had the great privilege of visiting your great country and meeting up with some of our regular songcrafters. Redler and Ella both live in Finland and two of our American members Hook and Launched joined us there too. Hook came via Norway meeting up with our Norwegian members Geir and Jarle. You can find out about it here https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?action=festival;sa=NordicMET2017

Welcome aboard.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Welcome to Songcrafters Zoltan. And congratulations on your purchase of a Boss Micro BR-80. I've added the BR-80 icon to your signature.

Do you mix your music on the BR-80 or do you use computer software for mixing? I record my tracks on my Boss BR-864 but then I export them to WAV files using the Boss BR Wave Converter software and load them into Audacity or Ardour for mixing and editing. I find it easier than mixing on the BR.

I look forward to hearing some music that you've recorded on your BR-80.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Zoltan

Thanks for the warm welcome Bishmanrock & Oldrottenhead and 64Guitars!
Yes the passion for songwriting never goes away. I'll check the link Oldrottenhead thanks! :)

I plan on composing / sketching / recording the songs on BR-80 and mixing (and possibly recording additional tracks) them on Reaper. I just try to avoid the computer on those most critical songwriting stages.  I've had the BR-80 for less than a week, so there's not really anything to show yet. Hopefully i'll be able to finish some songs and be able to collaborate also!
I have trouble with lyrics and singing. Those are my weakest areas. The only times i've managed to write lyrics that i've somewhat liked have been under a stress, and they've been a direct reflection of what's been happening at that time. Hopefully i'll learn other ways to get the lyrical creative juices going.

There's a lot to learn and read on these forums :)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Oldrottenhead

QuoteThe only times i've managed to write lyrics that i've somewhat liked have been under a stress, and they've been a direct reflection of what's been happening at that time.
That's always a great source of inspiration to me, you need to avoid the stress part tho and go for the direct reflection.  ;D
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Happy National Sleepy Head Day!  Did you get thrown into the lake this morning?  ;) :D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

WarpCanada

Welcome aboard.   Glad to meet another person from Finland.  My best friend is of Finnish extraction, but lives in Thunder Bay Ontario canada, which by the way has quite a good Finnish restaurant called the Hoito.

I think the main thing that makes me a better songwriter now than six months ago is if I let myself write whatever comes to me, and don't judge it too hard. Let it breathe.  See what happens. 

Every now and then I truly do not like what I did, and I laugh about it, and do something else. Almost ALWAYS there's something pleasantly surprising.

One of the great things about this site is how supportive and welcoming everybody is here. I think you'll like it.  I have a boss BR600 and I absolutely adore it. I do use a DAW too, but the less machinery is in my way the more brain cells are still ticking over in thoughtful reflective creative playful mode, instead of "freaking fracking computer won't freaking fracking freaking record this without glitching on me".  You know, as one does.

Warren
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

StephenM

Welcome to SC....I've been aboard 1 month shy of a year...one thing is certain...if you get involved in this site you will write more than you ever have....if anyone would tell me 1 year ago I would write 50 songs in a year I'd of laughed....I di did not write 10 in my lifetime...good choice buying a stand alone recording device

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ray Brookes

Welcome aboard, Zoltan. You will enjoy the company here and everyone is very friendly. Greetings from Sydney, Australia.
Ray Brookes