[old thread] Automatic mixing with a home made computer program

Started by des0free, July 23, 2021, 04:56:49 PM

des0free

TryLimiterEachTrack-RainSong
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Another attempt where I pre-applied both a compressor (API-2500) and limiter (L1; with signal just "kissing" the treshold) on each track.  Then ran my auto-mixer code, then made the following minor manual adjustments:

Keys multiplied by 0.7 (intended to be less prominent)
Vocal multiplied by 2 (and applied 1.2-fold treble boost above 4000 Hz)
Drum, Bass, and Acoustic Guitar unchanged

I think it makes the resulting mix slightly louder.

I could make it even louder if I slam the mixed track harder into the mastering limiter when I convert to MP3, but I tend to not do that as I think it starts to produce distortion.

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

Well, this was an interesting run through. It's a cool project.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

StephenM

I would suppose that you qualify as a geek!!  I say that in affectionate terms...
sounds very interesting what you are doing... and yes you can and did get good results...
this could be useful for some folks who absolutely have no idea what they are doing or for someone who wants a good generic mix...

mastering software does some of what you speak of but only to the overall already mixed track...

I agree with 64 to the idea that you can literally mix a song 100 different ways (art vs. science).... but this is a good idea....hope to hear more as you go along

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

64Guitars

Quote from: des0free on July 26, 2021, 04:43:26 PMI'm going to end this thread now and start a new one in "Home Recording > General" which I think is the more correct place for this topic.

I've moved this topic from General Discussion » General Discussion to Home Recording » DAW & Music Software. You can continue with this topic or start a new one here, whichever you prefer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

des0free

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 26, 2021, 09:16:24 PM
Quote from: des0free on July 26, 2021, 04:43:26 PMI'm going to end this thread now and start a new one in "Home Recording > General" which I think is the more correct place for this topic.

I've moved this topic from General Discussion » General Discussion to Home Recording » DAW & Music Software. You can continue with this topic or start a new one here, whichever you prefer.

Thanks!   I think I will start a new thread to describe the results I have currently, because this one is now cluttered with mentions of random things I initially tried.

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR