Who's your top 5 most influential guitar players ...

Started by bruno, July 20, 2021, 03:48:43 AM

bruno

Have been thinking about this for a while. Not your favorite band, not the best player (whatever that means) - but you can you hear in your playing, perhaps the occasional phrase or timing or simply a nod towards. Its not that you play like them (who could?), but it's who flavors your playing and so who to you hear that you aspire to be more like.

Here's who I think mine are - probably change tomorrow.

1. David Gilmour - he always is strive for the best possible tone, and melody and space in his playing.
2. Nuno Bettingcort - rhythmic playing at its finest, added with solo acrobatics helps you out of a tight spot.
3. Tony Iommi - I love me an almighty riff
4. Alex Lifeson - pushes me to be less boring and go for a innovative route or sound, his is more about creating more interesting chords rather than solo's.
5. Steve Lukather - he is master of the perfect solo, the lesson is always play the solo to fit the mood of the song

What's yours?
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Greeny

In no particular order...

John McGeoch - for his tones and inventive playing (especially with Siouxsie and the Banshees).

Johnny Marr - for the way he layers and arranges guitar parts.

Robbie Robertson.

George Harrison.

Mick Ronson.

chapperz66

Again,  in no real order:
Ritchie Blackmore
Steve Morse
Michael Schenker
Gary Moore
John Petrucci

Maybe this is the order since it's the order in which they sprang into my mind.
Then again,  Joe Satriani....

kenny mac

1.Mick Ronson.2Jeff lynne 3.Mick Ralphs.4.Neil schon.5.The edge.
I like people that add a gull new song within a song, im not into super fast,I could quite easily never listen to wangi m einstein for the rest of my life

Ferryman

Mine are:

Phil Manzanera
Robert Fripp
The Edge
John McGeoch
Robert Smith - because I now play Bass VI rather than guitar ;)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

Well, that's hard. That I can hear or that I try to emulate or..... Even this narrow question is rather wide in a way.

1. Steve Weber (Holy Modal Rounders)
2. Jimi Hendrix (I don't sound much like him, but without him I wouldn't even play guitar.)
3. Buddy Guy (Or maybe Albert King.)
4. Norman Blake (Although, I wish I were half as good as he.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mike_S

Yes this is incredibly hard to do, my skills on the guitar are best classified as hobbiest/enthusiast, etc BUT I am gonna go for:

David Gilmour - for getting maximum emotion/feeling from just a handful of well chosen notes
Steve Rothery - for a similar reason, perhaps even more lyrical, rarely playing an unnecessary note
Jeff Beck - for constantly searching for a new idea / sound
Rory Gallagher - for just ripping the shit out of the guitar and letting go in that raw bluesy way
Johnny Marr - for showing that rhythm guitar can be a highly exciting and creative artform in and of itself

Gary Moore is very pissed off with me from beyond the grave not not finding a place for him on the list... hmm I may have to rearrange it! :)

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

First up I can't play guitar to save mysel
1. David Crosby
2. Wreckless Eric
3 . John otway
4. Bob dylan
5. Ade edmundson
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Mach

Influential from when I started learning. Mainly Blues based.

Billy Gibbons
Allen Collins
David Gilmour
Hubert Sumlin
Jeff Beck
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder