"Don't Try to Tell Me"

Started by Frank53, June 05, 2009, 06:02:57 PM

Frank53

dont_try_mix_2_trim
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I don't want to hog the BR-900 board (Kody? Pigfarmer?), but Bosko asked if I had any other originals to post. I only have a few, so let me post one more, then I'll leave everyone alone for a while. LOL!

I wrote this odd set of lyrics a couple years ago - all verses, no chorus, no bridge - and didn't know what to do with it. Last year I wanted to try to do a funk tune, and thought it might work. The performance and recording are sloppy, but I kind of like the arrangement.

The horns in this (trumpet, trombone, tenor, and baritone) were each recorded individually on my Yamaha Motif ES, using a DSP card that has some pretty nice horn voices, and a breath controller. Dump in a few very cliche R&B guitar licks, and there ya go! LOL!

I started to go back to correct some of the slop, but since I hadn't updated the OS on my '900, it glitched, and I lost the entire song. Someday I'll get back to re-recording the entire song from scratch... someday. Anyway, here it is. I guess I selected this one just because it's different.

There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Bosko Schwartz

WHOA,  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o !!!

"Holy shit" is about all I can come up with here!  You've left me virtually speechless!
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bluesberry

You are a master arranger of all this different instruments, thats all I can say.  The mixing/mastering is really good, sounds really clear, everything in its place, at the right levels.  You have a great voice man, very soulful.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

Holy Shit we are not worthy  :D Just Brilliant my speakers are dancing round the room!

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Frank53

Wow! I really appreciate all your kind words. Nice of you to ignore all the mistakes. I really hope to re-record this sometime, and clean it up, but I guess it wasn't bad for a first shot at funk.

Thanks everyone, for listening and commenting.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Kody

This is what I'm talking about!! My BR900 can't do this?!? lol!  Sounds pretty pro, man~ Now I have inspiration and motivation....Damn, I'm glad you found this place so you can share your talent with us...How did you record the vocals? I need to learn how to mix like this!!!!!!!! Excellent, Frank!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Frank53

Thanks for the kind words, Kody! As far as the vocal on this, I used either a R0DE NT-1A or a Sterling ST-51. I don't remember which. I went through an ART tube preamp, and that's about it. I'm sure I used preset patch P01, without any mods. Other than a little reverb, it's uneffected.

As I stated before, I was in the process of cleaning up some of the tracks, tweaking the effects, and remixing it when it all disappeared on me. I'll redo it one of these days.

Oldrottenhead

wow what a great post frank, had me jigging in my seat,  great to hear recapitulate in a lyric, loved the vox/lyrics just a nice dusting of humour in there. gonna listen again.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann