Fender 25R Amp

Started by T.C. Elliott, July 05, 2021, 04:18:24 PM

T.C. Elliott

So I've bought two of these used on an auction site. Neither are perfect. The first one was totally usable / gig-able right out of the shipping box. In fact, I used it the only time I've played electric on stage in the past five years. (Two years ago in Madison, WI filling in for an on-line friend when her usual lead player couldn't make it. But that's another story.)

To the point, my dear, T.C. To the point:
I upgraded the speaker to a Rajin Cajun. Which sounded great but the damn speaker cloth was flapping so hard it sounded like a torn speaker. After a year of laziness I finally got a small bit of expanded aluminum screen that I installed on the front of the amp. Problem solved and this baby screams. It rocks.

I use the dirty channel with the gain on like 2 and the volume up for my "clean" tones (which really are clean) and then just crank the gain for dirt. I'm loving this thing. Too bad the wife came home or I'd still be playing it.

recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

T.C. Elliott

I don't use this much, but it's a damn good backup/practice/mic'ing amp. Used it at a small gig a couple years ago and it worked flawlessly. I used the "dirty" channel as clean as it would go and a pedal for overdrive and it did great. Cheap amp = good results.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

StephenM

I have tended to use very distorted guitar but I am also finding that cleaner typically works better in mixes...and especially when there are a number of instruments involved... I also like hearing amps on stage...
I typically go DI from my guitar processor and get good results I do like hearing amps when I have seen them used up close...nowadays these babies can be small and still crank up... I am sure these are some older amps but Fender makes some good stuff... thanks for the updates.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: StephenM on June 09, 2023, 07:51:32 PMI have tended to use very distorted guitar but I am also finding that cleaner typically works better in mixes...

Early on I learned (and have had to relearn) that sometimes a little less dirty sounds better. Listen to Jimi's Electric Ladyland and a song like Purple Haze. The guitar isn't nearly as distorted as I thought it was. Amazing what your ears can teach you if you let them.

But I also agree that dirt sounds GOOD!
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

StephenM

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on June 09, 2023, 07:56:38 PM
Quote from: StephenM on June 09, 2023, 07:51:32 PMI have tended to use very distorted guitar but I am also finding that cleaner typically works better in mixes...

Early on I learned (and have had to relearn) that sometimes a little less dirty sounds better. Listen to Jimi's Electric Ladyland and a song like Purple Haze. The guitar isn't nearly as distorted as I thought it was. Amazing what your ears can teach you if you let them.

But I also agree that dirt sounds GOOD!

and for me that goes with my pickups turned way down often, especially on rhythms... I can get away with pretty dirty settings when the pickups are down... you are right ... the ears will tell the story

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

T.C. Elliott

I said Ladyland and I meant Are You Experienced. *(duh)* Yeah, that turn the guitar volume down to clean up your dirt a bit is excellent advice. A friend, well the singer in my last original band, modded his strat so that volume down won't clean up the dirt as much. It's an interesting guitar to play.

Great. Now I want to be in a band again.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

T.C. Elliott

Yeah, I'll write and record a song soon(ish.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper