Wonderment-Original

Started by Johnbee, June 30, 2021, 06:22:45 PM

Johnbee

Thanks so much, Greeny & Mike!  :)
Mike, you're right about the vibraslap.  I brought it down a bit.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Farrell Jackson

This is excellent song writing John with great vocals. Someone mentioned an Alan Parsons' style, to which I agree. As far as the renegade tom, it didn't bother me at all. Since you mentioned it, I was listening closely but as the song went on I forgot about it. To my ears it gave a live feel of a live drummer. But I have worn out ears so take my comments on it with a grain of salt. Well done John!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

maxit

The mix is super-fine, no one stands tall and every instrument is perfectly defined. You know, for some reasons, this reminds me of the more experimental james taylor (no I'm not talking about the british group but about the famous west coast singer-songwriter ;-). I know even Suite for 20g is not half the complexity of this, but ok, something somewhere triggered this connection ...
recorder
Audacity

Ray Brookes

WOW, a masterclass in composition, performance and production. Such beautiful jazz-orientated chord changes underscored by that excellent bass line and a beautiful melody sitting atop. Brilliant writing, John; well done.
Ray Brookes

Jean Pierre

very nice composition and I love the melodic and harmonic construction, and the counter-song on the bass...it reminds me a bit of Brian Wilson
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

The drums sound fine to me..and everything else. Great music, well played and produced. Love your vocals and the lyrics. Nothing feels out of place and you have a lot of instruments in the song but they all work for me. Nice one.
Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Johnbee

Ferrell, Maxit, Ray, Jahia and Darren-Thank you all so very much  for listening

:) John B.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

tonyc

another great song john , i dont think you should worry about the sound levels of the drums , as a drummer wouldn't , i never did . great music love the change of chords and superb vocals love the bass class song all round brill stuff john .....cheers tony cee
recorder
Zoom HD16

Johnbee

Quote from: tonyc on July 04, 2021, 11:03:31 AManother great song john , i dont think you should worry about the sound levels of the drums , as a drummer wouldn't , i never did . great music love the change of chords and superb vocals love the bass class song all round brill stuff john .....cheers tony cee

Thanks so much, Tony.
 :) JB

-Duke Ellington

Ted

Get a paternity test done. You may be the love child of Burt Bacharach and Steely Dan.

Did you ever heed any of the mixing and production advice in this thread? If so, is there new version released into the wild? Very listenable. The piano interlude is particularly beautiful. Downloaded.

Blackout Bump - week of 30 June, 2021
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac