New Arrival - Bishmanrock

Started by Bishmanrock, June 26, 2021, 02:43:58 AM

Bishmanrock

04. Stormchild2
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi, I'm Bishmanrock from the UK. I saw this site mentioned on Reddit, gave it an idle click and it actually looks like a really nice community, so here I am with an intro post and everything!

I've been in a mix of thrash metal and hardcore punk bands in the past, but my main solo work tends to move between different genres. A lot of my current stuff is along the lines of dark prog rock, I guess? In the absence of having a live band or even a static genre to pin myself to, I've been really struggling to figure out how to properly promote myself or even get listeners for my work.

My last album was released in March (Spotify, Bandcamp, YouTube). I'm currently working on the next one which is more of a stripped down acoustic ramble (influenced by Roger Waters' The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking), most of the music is down just sorting vocals. Probably release early next year.

I work with MIDI sequencers and Cubase primarily. I peg myself mostly as producer, because even through I do most of the writing/lyrics/singing, I rarely play any of the instrumentation. I'm always open to collaborations or having my tracks remixed. Liking the sounds of the themed competitions here, so hoping to give that a go!

Hello everyone and nice to meet you!

recorder
Cubase

alfstone

A WARM welcome from the (very) HOT Sicily, and many congrats, your Stormchild sounds really great!

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Hilary

Hello and nice to meet you too!

This sounds very accomplished, I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Welcome, also from the UK, I hope you love it here  :)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ferryman

Aha a kindred spirit! I am a lover of doomy proggy metal and Stormchild was right up my street. Gave me a few hints of Tightly Unwound era Pineapple Thief, I loved the feel of the track and it's really well written and produced. Sounds pretty convincing if those are midi instruments. Great vocals as well.

I can't help with getting listeners I am afraid, I gave up on my music career many years ago so have no idea how to do it these days. I guess maybe YouTube channels and stuff like that may be a start. I enjoy the YouTube channel "Where Post Rock Dwells" and I'm sure you could submit your stuff there, they seem to take submissions from bands and solo artists (and not just those with deals).

Here's some shameless self promotion. Have a listen to my track "Outlier" here: https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30695.msg364121#msg364121 It might be up your alley....... :D

Welcome, and I look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bishmanrock

Hello everyone and thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote from: Ferryman on June 26, 2021, 09:02:41 AMAha a kindred spirit! I am a lover of doomy proggy metal and Stormchild was right up my street. Gave me a few hints of Tightly Unwound era Pineapple Thief, I loved the feel of the track and it's really well written and produced. Sounds pretty convincing if those are midi instruments. Great vocals as well.

I'm ashamed to say I hadn't encountered The Pineapple Thief, but can assure you I'm fixing that as I speak.

If my memory serves right, everything on that track is MIDI/VST save for the guitar.

Quote from: Ferryman on June 26, 2021, 09:02:41 AMI can't help with getting listeners I am afraid, I gave up on my music career many years ago so have no idea how to do it these days. I guess maybe YouTube channels and stuff like that may be a start. I enjoy the YouTube channel "Where Post Rock Dwells" and I'm sure you could submit your stuff there, they seem to take submissions from bands and solo artists (and not just those with deals).

I'm under no illusion of having a music "career", left those dreams at the door long ago, but like anyone else always looking for anyone who might appreciate my stuff, it's only natural artists want to be appreciated. I hadn't heard of that channel, will give it a go, thanks!

Quote from: Ferryman on June 26, 2021, 09:02:41 AMHere's some shameless self promotion. Have a listen to my track "Outlier" here: https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30695.msg364121#msg364121 It might be up your alley....... :D

Pwhoar, that's a cracking track, really digging that style and the tones used! If you do more like that keep me in the loop, I'd be eager to hear.

recorder
Cubase

kenny mac

Welcome to the site.
Looking forward to hearing your stuff.

Ferryman

Quote from: Bishmanrock on June 26, 2021, 09:37:26 AMPwhoar, that's a cracking track, really digging that style and the tones used! If you do more like that keep me in the loop, I'd be eager to hear.
Thanks, there will be more but I am a notoriously slow worker (just ask anyone on here..... :D). I have given up doing vocals so maybe there will be a chance to get you to add some vocals to some of my stuff......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bishmanrock

It sounds like we're pretty similar in headspace - I'm also a dreadfully slow worker (and sometimes pause for a while to prevent burnout too). My album turnaround times average about a year and a half, from writing through to recording and mixing, to completion. I could speed that up if I wanted, but I don't want to turn the passion into a chore.

I'm absolutely happy to lend any vocals. I have a demo setup at home to throw down rough vocal takes (sadly live in a terrace, so belting out notes isn't possible without neighbours thinking there's a domestic going on...), and I have access to a studio to lay down final vocals when needed.

recorder
Cubase

Ferryman

Quote from: Bishmanrock on June 26, 2021, 02:28:06 PMIt sounds like we're pretty similar in headspace - I'm also a dreadfully slow worker (and sometimes pause for a while to prevent burnout too). My album turnaround times average about a year and a half, from writing through to recording and mixing, to completion. I could speed that up if I wanted, but I don't want to turn the passion into a chore.
That's actually quite quick compared to me!

Quote from: Bishmanrock on June 26, 2021, 02:28:06 PMI'm absolutely happy to lend any vocals. I have a demo setup at home to throw down rough vocal takes (sadly live in a terrace, so belting out notes isn't possible without neighbours thinking there's a domestic going on...), and I have access to a studio to lay down final vocals when needed.
That's one of the reasons I gave up doing vocals - I feel embarrassed winding the voice up to full bore at home. I don't ahve anywhere proper to record them so focus on instrumentals or working with others.

I'll be giving the album a listen later today.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Welcome! Ferryman and I have a big overlap in our tastes, but I come with a dash of Africa – just a dash. I'm not African (except in the sense that all humans are African). I'm just a pushing-60 American with rock, prog, and punk influences that won't send you Googling because you never heard of them (mostly). But I've been dabbling unseriously in African styles for many years, and try to fake it from time to time.

I'm one of the old-timers on this site, but I don't post too often anymore. Lately I've been playing and learning Kabosy (an instrument from Madagascar, where I live) – even taking lessons. I'm feeling inspired and may start posting more often.

Bass is my main instrument, but I call myself a songwriter first and foremost as an excuse for not being better at bass. I mostly record on a Micro BR (like many die-hards here). But I cheat and use Garageband sometimes.

Loved the song!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac