Which of you are using EZ DRUMMER 2 ?

Started by Jean Pierre, June 23, 2021, 12:47:58 AM

Jean Pierre

Which of you are using EZ DRUMMER 2?

...I'm not a drummer (just a little bit) and I'm looking to improve my drums tracks
I tried EZ DRUMMER2 in demo version and it seems to me excellent (it would miss for my taste the play with the brooms)

Do you have any experience with this software, used with a DAW (for me REAPER)?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

des0free

Hi JP, I am using EZ Drummer 1 with Reaper and it works well.  It is easy to use, is the main thing I like. From what I've read #2 is similar but has improved sound quality, more sounds, and other features that make programming easier.  I read it is also possible to record with E drum pads and have it trigger the sounds in reaper, and possible to have each drum sound routed to a different track instead of using the EZ mixing panel, but I have not done those things. The only other package I've used is a limited starter version of Native Instruments Abbey Roads 60s drums.  Although the sounds seemed very good it was much harder to install and to figure out how to use than EZ Drummer.  In fact, I have not gone back to that because I'm afraid I would have trouble figuring it out again (should have made notes...).
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jean Pierre

QuoteI read it is also possible to record with E drum pads and have it trigger the sounds in reaper, and possible to have each drum sound routed to a different track instead of using the EZ mixing panel

Yes Doug it's true and that's what I would like to do ..play the EZdrummer sounds (which are very good, recorded in Mark Knoffer's recording studio...) on my electronic drum pads ..but I'm still struggling with the connections  :(
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Mike_S

I used to use Additive Drum2... which I found pretty good. At the moment I just use the basic drum sounds in garageband which are ok (I lost the software somehow for addictive drums, not sure how :))

https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_drums_2
recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

I used EZDrummer 2 (I think 2, pretty sure, maybe?) before I switched to Superior Drummer. I'll be honest and say I liked EZ Drummer better. But I have way more control over Superior Drummer.

Bonus points: I ran my Alesis DM6 electronic drum set into the computer, got it to trigger the drums in EZ Drummer and can play using the sounds found there. It's awesome. I rarely do this anymore as my playing was never any good and has gotten worse, but it's cool to be able to do it.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Bishmanrock

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on June 23, 2021, 06:29:19 PMI used EZDrummer 2 (I think 2, pretty sure, maybe?) before I switched to Superior Drummer. I'll be honest and say I liked EZ Drummer better. But I have way more control over Superior Drummer.

Similar boat, was using EZ Drummer for years and upgraded to Superior Drummer this year.

EZ Drummer is great for whipping up demos, or something functional. Superior Drummer is no doubt more powerful, but I'll need to sit down to learn how to properly use it to get the most out of it. You can't just whack a kit on and be done like you (almost) could with EZ Drummer.

recorder
Cubase

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: Bishmanrock on June 24, 2021, 06:38:47 AMYou can't just whack a kit on and be done like you (almost) could with EZ Drummer.

No, but you can save presets.  Like I almost always have to reduce the snare by 1.7 db or so. And I've gone and bought a few expansions with different kit sounds. I still don't spend as much time as I should, but at least I have usable kits now. Also, I've found the ones that don't sound quite as perfect often sound better in the mix. But my ear could be to blame on that one.  :-[
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Bishmanrock

There's some really great YouTube tutorials on Superior Drummer, I just need to get myself sat down to go through them and get something that works for me.

One of my worries is that once I have a set-up I like and save it as a pre-set, I'll just default to using that every project. But to be fair I kept falling foul of something similar with EZ Drummer. Sometimes you have to force yourself back out into the unknown or else you get lazy.

I've got a fair few EZ Drummer kits but I haven't bought many Superior Drummer kits, partly due to the price (although I appreciate just how much extra those kits hold), and partly because I just don't feel like I need much beyond the range I have now.

Slightly straying from the topic, but I also use EZ Bass and absolutely love it, and think it works great in conjunction with EZ Drummer and a real guitar, mixed right with proper velocity and attention to detail it can sound very realistic. EZ Keys is good but I think there's a lot of choice on the market so I have other preferences, and EZ Mix I initially liked for convenience but wound up growing tired of quite quickly and just removed it outright.

recorder
Cubase

T.C. Elliott

All of my EZDrummer packs loaded into Superior Drummer 2 as well. And I always look at new purchases to make sure they will work with my current setup.

I also fall victim of relying on a single sound more often than I should. Although that's started to change a bit in the past year or so. I should set up like four or five presets for various things and then tweak from there. I should also view those youtube videos. *should*
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Bishmanrock

Yeah, I still use a few of the EZDrummer kits through Superior Drummer. I know the samples aren't as high/varied quality, but if I'm being honest I think few musicians, and definitely most listeners, would struggle to even notice.

Having a few presets as starting points though definitely sounds like a wise set up.

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on June 25, 2021, 06:37:21 AMI should also view those youtube videos. *should*

Best laid plans as always ;D

recorder
Cubase