Up to no good

Started by Frank53, June 17, 2021, 06:25:02 PM

Frank53

I thought I would check in, in case you're wondering what I've been up to (and I'm sure you are  :D). I completed my second CD at the end of 2020, and after a short break, I have been concentrating on my classical compositions. I've completed a string quartet in 3 movements, and am currently finishing my first symphony for full orchestra, which is quite a challenge, and a great learning experience.

I will get back to some songwriting and recording soon, and I have to catch up on the music that has been posted. In the meantime, my theory and composition instructor (J. Anthony Allen, PhD) solicited works from his students to provide some feedback. This was my submission. Jay runs his own music schools (Slam Academy and Punkademic.com), and also provides his courses on Udemy, which is where I took them.

So, I'll be diving back in soon. Looking forward to hear what everyone has been up to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBaa7Owb8WI
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Ferryman

Pretty impressive! I would say you have been up to some good..... :D

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Nice! Good feedback too. I thought it had cinematic quality to it, like the accompaniment to scenes of a bustling city, or an energetic person moving confidently through their busy morning routine.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

interesting thing you are doing Frank... I will admit that I have missed seeing you around the site more...but I realize that folks come and go...and in and out...
music means different things for different people... that I am learning more each day....
can't wait to hear some more singing of yours (and playing)...that Christmas song of yours was fantastic...and a few others are still some of my favorites...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

maxit

I agree with ted, it has a very dynamic feeling, energy. I agree with your teacher also that it needs a better orchestra sound. There's a lot of cool things, chromaticism, unconventional intervals - that make more intriguing and suspended the harmony, and the interplay between drums and orchestra. Very interesting and well done, up to good! I don't think you have the space to develope more the three/four themes in this 3,30 song-like symphony. But that's a cool thing too. You zipped a symphony into a song. cool, bravo.
recorder
Audacity