Reaper mixer levels adjust track volumes AFTER the fx plugins!

Started by des0free, June 09, 2021, 09:41:59 PM

des0free

I finally realized that up until now I misunderstood how the "mixer" (track faders) work in Reaper.  They adjust the volume AFTER the fx plugins, not the volume fed into the fx plugins! I can't believe I didn't understand that before!  !@012    Hopefully knowing this will help improve my mixes in the future....
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

TPB

I use mixcraft and cakewalk and still learn something new every time I play with them
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Flash Harry

It depends where in the signal chain you put the FX. Generally it's best to have a correct level going into your FX, there are times though when you may want to get a particular effect such as driving an automated signal into a limiter.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

guitarron

Quote from: Flash Harry on June 14, 2021, 10:38:19 AMIt depends where in the signal chain you put the FX. Generally it's best to have a correct level going into your FX, there are times though when you may want to get a particular effect such as driving an automated signal into a limiter.
Unity Gain
Side note

Regarding applying effects, I find that creating and sending to a mix buss (prefader ) makes mixing less muddled- especially with reverbs. This can technique can be used for Parallel compression too

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand