"Mugged by a monkey" a Geir original by Optimission

Started by Bernt, June 06, 2021, 09:42:05 AM

maxit

wooooaaaaaa! The new Rolling Stones come from Norway, what an energy  !!!!!
recorder
Audacity

BerryPatch

Excellent performance guys, you all gel so well. I can't wait to hear more from you three, love the track as well!

des0free

Tight and rocking! I feel that I would like to make a trip to this mystical cabin someday.  I want to hear this live!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mike_S

Wow... what a track. So cool... a real upbeat bit of of riffing (reminded me of Van Halen for some strange reason). Very original, very catchy, a little touch of indie rock. The change in tempo for the solo is off the charts. Fantastic chaps.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Optimission - Mugged by a monkey - Mix 5 Mastered
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi

thanks for all the kind comments.

A trio is challenging, but looking through my old songs I thought this song was possible to do and the guys delivered (tho somewhat under the influence ;) ) We actually also performed this song acoustic later that night for some cabin neighbors, but alas, no recording as far as I know.

This recording was done with a BR800 (either mine or my brothers). All the tracks were mono, even the drums. The guitar was my MiM tele through a Boss SD-1, + a Boss OS-2 on the solo, and thanx to ORH and Ferryman, a  Roland Jazz Chorus amp sim on a Zoom pedal!

The first mix was  "ok", but I wasn't really happy with it.  It was done in audacity, with no good reverb plugins so I really wanted to remix it....
so i did. :)

The comparison to Thin Lizzy and Van Halen is really flattering and I appreciate it ! They are huge influences on my singing and playing. .... and as you will see .. my mixing :)

I've made a new mix that will enhance the VH connection ...
This is what I wanted in the first mix, but due to time constraints wasn't able to.

What I've done now is to get some great reverb (eventide blackhole)) on the vocals and drums, spring reverb (also eventide) on the guitar (panned right) and nembrine blackice bass amp on the bass. (I also turned down the most out of tune backing vocals on the intro ;D )

Sorry for the late update on this, but I really needed to get a better mix out there !

I think the bass-players here will appreciate this mix !

Rock on

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

StephenM

I just listened to them both...the first and then the new one... to be fair I like them both.  I would say that the new one is much more polished but the start of it seemed to bog down a bit for me....but the guitar sounds as this got going were fabulous...love that big reverb guitar sound...

mixing is so finnicky...you just never know... I like them both...either way it's a great song with alot of great energy... a rock and roll song...
really love the lead guitar playing too...
vocals are simply great rock and roll singing.. and yes...this defo has a Thin Lizzy vibe which is a band that I really liked alot...alot....

great work...all of it

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Greeny

Welcome to SC! I know the pleasure of making music with these bandmates in a cabin. I also know about Geir's recurring monkey theme, lol. It's a very catchy song, and what comes through is the huge talent in every department. Great playing, energy and vibe. Very cool. Hope to hear more...

Bishmanrock

When the first line hit I had a massive grin on my face, was completely sold from there. Song so infectious I'd be happy having to isolate with it for ten days. I refuse to believe that this isn't a true story though.

recorder
Cubase

Ted

Quote from: Geir on July 01, 2021, 02:56:49 PMI think the bass-players here will appreciate this mix !

This is the version that's going to the piPod.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Farrell Jackson

I somehow missed this so I'm late in commenting. Better late than never. I think you guys have a great sound for a power trio. It's hard to pull that off and keep the sound full, specially during the guitar solos. You all work well together at keeping it full and fluid. A cool song and welcome to SC Bernt and I love the band name, Optimission...do some more!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?