The band known as Asia

Started by StephenM, June 03, 2021, 07:18:51 PM

Ted

Quote from: StephenM on June 04, 2021, 04:38:27 PMwell, thanks for giving me a couple of other albums I need to check out Bruno... it was because of you I discovered Iron Horse...and UK...so thanks.

Ditto that. I was a young prog head when Asia came out. I was (and still am) a big fan of Wetton's work with King Crimson, and his work with U.K. (particularly the first album with Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth). But when Asia came out, it definitely was not the music I was hoping for. But I consumed the first album until found quite a few moments I really liked. But my interest in Wetton trailed off – partially (maybe mostly) because my attention was shifting towards African music.

In recent years I've been playing a slow game of catch-up on a lot of great music I missed out on since the 90's
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

BerryPatch

I honestly don't know much from Asia (expect for Heat Of The Moment), but I absolutely love John Wetton in King Crimson. His voice is one of a kind and his bass playing is wicked, going from soft and melodic on the mellower cuts to absolutely thunderous on other tracks. I have massive respect for the guy. Of course, Steve Howe and Carl Palmer are great musicians as well (though I'm not that much of a fan of ELP). Definitely intrigued in checking them out at some point...