The band known as Asia

Started by StephenM, June 03, 2021, 07:18:51 PM

StephenM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQoqMIfJJ8

I know Bruno is a big Asia and John Wetton fan so I hoped to stoke up some contact with anyone on here who happens to want to talk about this great bands music...
They have become a top 5 band all time for me....and John Wetton is my favorite all time all around musician....

to be honest I knew about 3 of their songs (Only Time Will Tell, Soul Survivor, Heat of the Moment)....just what had been played on the radio over here in the US... I never dug into the band...
in 2012 I started running to help me fight depression and for weight control...I was looking for music to run with and downloaded the first 3 albums....then I started listening to their latest stuff...
IMO their music got better with time... of course the lineup that means the most to me and that I love their music is Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, and Carl Palmer, along with John....

would love to hear anyones thoughts or remembrances about the band....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

kenny mac

Excellent band Stephen.
Myself and Johny Robbo covered a track here

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=26328.msg319328#msg319328

I always loved the production of these albums and  also the production of bands like Mike and the Mechanics.
Top class stuff.

bruno

Well I am a fan. I remember being excited when the band was announced as I loved UK and Yes and ELP - so knew it was going to be good. That first album holds many happy memories for me, and always triggers them whenever I listen.

John Wetton really hit his stride with his solo work, Archangel and Rock of Faith are always up there as greatest ever albums.

RIP John.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

StephenM

Quote from: bruno on June 04, 2021, 05:59:30 AMWell I am a fan. I remember being excited when the band was announced as I loved UK and Yes and ELP - so knew it was going to be good. That first album holds many happy memories for me, and always triggers them whenever I listen.

John Wetton really hit his stride with his solo work, Archangel and Rock of Faith are always up there as greatest ever albums.

RIP John.

B

well, thanks for giving me a couple of other albums I need to check out Bruno... it was because of you I discovered Iron Horse...and UK...so thanks.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Mike_S

I do like Asia too. They seem to try and find that elusive connection between commercial accessible music and progressive more interesting music. I think they found it. Great production values, great musicianship, strong tunes. As for finding a place for them in my favourites list, it's a hard one. I have a special place in my heart for a bunch of bands. Asia are in that group I guess, but it also includes Big Country, Rory Gallagher, Prefab Sprout, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Rainbow (the Joe Lynn Turner era controversially!), Peter Green, Jeff Beck, Noel Gallagher and loads of others...
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Mike_S on June 04, 2021, 05:13:27 PMI do like Asia too. They seem to try and find that elusive connection between commercial accessible music and progressive more interesting music. I think they found it. Great production values, great musicianship, strong tunes. As for finding a place for them in my favourites list, it's a hard one. I have a special place in my heart for a bunch of bands. Asia are in that group I guess, but it also includes Big Country, Rory Gallagher, Prefab Sprout, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Rainbow (the Joe Lynn Turner era controversially!), Peter Green, Jeff Beck, Noel Gallagher and loads of others...

Mike, I am with you on Joe Lynn Turner...just a great voice in my opinion...that guy sounded like Lou Gramm (when he wanted to) and who can do that? 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Blooby

Saw them on their first tour with Rory Gallagher opening.  That was an odd pairing. I have a soft spot for the pop side of prog.  I have actually made a few long mixes I listen to while taking solo road trips. The great Guthrie Govan was with them for a spell along with Chris Slade (The Firm, AC/DC).

Blooby

bruno

I saw Guthrie Goven live at the London guitar show a few years back (probably 20). He is a singularly gifted player, however I always struggle with his music - it never really grips me. However watching him play is a treat.

Also, I'm sure that he wrote for the UK Guitarist magazine years and years ago - I do have a vague recollection of that, however that could be age playing tricks on me ....

*** added in afterwards - I decided to look this up and

"In 1993, he won Guitarist magazine's "Guitarist of the Year" competition with his instrumental piece "Wonderful Slippery Thing." A version of this song was included on his debut solo album. The demo of the track earned him a place amongst several other entrants in the live final, which he then won. In the meantime, Govan hit upon the idea of transcribing music from records professionally, and submitted the most technically difficult piece he could think of (a Shawn Lane transcription) to Guitar Techniques magazine."

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Blooby

Quote from: bruno on June 06, 2021, 06:08:50 AMI saw Guthrie Goven live at the London guitar show a few years back (probably 20). He is a singularly gifted player, however I always struggle with his music.

The improvisation and humor in The Aristocrats is something I can appreciate in measured doses. There is a five part instructional bit on YouTube that I think is gold. He is teaching from a gazebo.

Blooby