WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm in guitar label

Started by dasilvasings, May 01, 2021, 02:34:08 AM

dasilvasings

Hi,

I just received yesterday my new acoustic short scale bass, an Ibanez PNB 14E.
I ordered from Thomann in February, but due to delays in the delivery from manufacturer it took almost two months to arrive.

It looks good and sounds good despite being a relatively cheap bass. It is made in Indonesia, and the finishing is good.

What worries me is a label that was coming with bass referring California's Prop65 and WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm.

From all things, I don't consider being killed by my bass particularly bad, but... not now please.

Do you have any guess where the P65 substance may be? It does smell strongly on glue (left in airy space to take smell).

Any ideas, opinions?

Miguel

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ferryman

I never paid any attention to the thought of my guitars killing me. I had a greater worry that sometimes audience members were more likely to kill me with one of my guitars......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Sounds more like legal arse covering for lawsuit-happy states & countries rather than an actual threat / risk. Don't lick the frets though!

alfstone

Quote from: Greeny on May 01, 2021, 05:04:22 AMSounds more like legal arse covering for lawsuit-happy states & countries rather than an actual threat / risk. Don't lick the frets though!

I agree. Who knows how many dangerous chemicals we come in touch with, everyday, and we just don't know. Anyway, yes...don't lick the frets...  ;D

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Farrell Jackson

Beware....if you visit CA. you could be subjected to a million things that could harm you with that same P65 label. But you're more likely to die from playing that new bass so much that your fingers will bleed you to death, lol. It's all legal stuff covering their arses.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

64Guitars

Here's the official Proposition 65 website: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html

According to Wikipedia, even Disneyland has a Proposition 65 warning notice:

"Saliva causes cancer, but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time."
 - George Carlin

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

I agree, the Prop 65 labels are alarmist. Cancer risk must be reasonably assessed, and guitars are likely at the bottom of the list of things to worry about.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

kenny mac

We live in a world surrounded by cancerous products,most of them on supermarket shelves.
As long as you dont eat the bass I imagine the risk will be low.
I do worry though about the poor dude working with it daily.

T.C. Elliott

Well, it's California. What do you expect?

Did you know there are trace amounts of arsenic in potatoes? If you follow the same logic then potatoes should have a poison warning on them.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London