Dining, Wining, Biding by BerryPatch

Started by BerryPatch, April 27, 2021, 08:41:07 PM

BerryPatch

Dining, Wineing, Bideing
Time:
0:00
Volume:
CutUpFest (banner image missing)

This is a song I made for Cut-Up Fest, using Syd Barett's lyrics as a jumping off point. I took about 12 to 15 couplets from different Pink Floyd songs and and the Lazarus Cut Up site to jumble them up. I also totally mixed around the chords to Father John Misty's song Mr. Tillman (an excellent song) and changed the feel to get an appropiate acid folk sorta sound, using that for my verse progression.  I guess you could say it's something of a double cut up :). This time, I played the drums instead of just arranging them on garageband and I'm pleased with the results. Hope you enjoy, it was sure fun making this track...

Got a flip top cloak and it's raining after dark
Sleeping on a sea of red and black
Biding his pack of cigarette blues
Underground light, distorted view

Sitting playing winter games for May
Watching buttercups sitting in the sun
She'll be with the old sky forms
Though mirror dark may be the stores

See through trees in sorrow green
Turquoise waist coat plastic feet
Dandelions in her pockets play

Watching my streets cry
Gazing at the yellow dream
Wall hung super market stores
Gazing through a joke
Around the icy waters
Dining wining, biding time

I'm light its bright the sun brings return
Eating sleeping drinking in the afternoon
Blam blam fling your pointers for all
I'm feeling frail (very frail)

Watching my streets cry
Gazing at the yellow dream
Wall hung super market stores
Gazing through a joke
Around the icy waters
Dining wining, biding time

(Alright)

Godin Acoustic
Epiphone Viola Bass
Roland Drum Kit
Squier Jazzmaster
Mellotron App
Korg Electric Keyboard
Shure Sm58
Fuzz Factory and Boss Feedbacker Pedals
Blues Junior Amp
Recorded on Boss BR1200

launched

Dude, this is a badass tune!! Way to capture my favorite heroes of the past. And the drumming grabs me perfectly, you have the gift for sure. Mixed so well and no "sharp" spots, it's awesome!

I'm amazed at what you are doing!
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Greeny

This is absolutely mind-blowing. Outstanding work! Really has the Syd Barrett vibe (reminds me of 'Octopus' - one of my favourite songs). But it goes even further than that in the huge, psychedelic arrangement. Shades of Strawberry fields too with the mellotron. The melody is incredible. In fact, I'd be bold enough to say this is right up there with the best things I've heard on Songcrafters. That lyric 'See through trees in sorrow green / Turquoise waist coat plastic feet / Dandelions in her pockets play' is so far up my street. Love it! You need to get signed and in a proper studio!

Ferryman

Ahh yes, this is exactly what cutups are all about IMO. Take elements from other things, jumble them around, add in your own inspiration and come up with something totally unique. Which is what we have here. I love the way the lyrics have come out and the music suits them perfectly. A great groove driven initially by the acoustic but then we are off into definitely psychedelic territory with some delicious sounds, great fuzzy guitars and the mellotron is a superb touch. It all comes together brilliantly and is a real pleasure to listen to, so much to appreciate. I thought the drums were great as well, nice job there!

Brilliant stuff. Now I want to get me a flip top cloak, where can I get one of those.....?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

That is bloody " amazing"! Not only does it sound like pink Floyd in vocal / lyrical style, you've got the music spot on. It's like the Floyd and Beatles merged into one, do I hear a mellatron in there too? The music is so good though, great playing and production. Great singing too. I love this style of song. These cut up lyric songs are really interesting. :)
Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

WarpCanada

This is really cool.  Surreal music and lyrics and quite awesome vibe.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

cuthbert

Holy shit, dude - that was fantastic! I love Syd and what you've come up with using the cut-up technique. Great mix of styles and very upbeat.

I loved it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ray Brookes

Oh yeah, great stuff. Arranging is first class - everything about this is brill. As Darren says it's like a meeting of Beatles (or more specifically Lennon) and Floyd. Love it.
Ray Brookes

StephenM

I have been enjoying just going into the latest song list and let it play down through....especially when there are a bunch of new songs...then I try and guess who the song is...who is playing...and when this came on last night i was pretty sure it had to be the young Berry...and i was correct...this is a dreamy cool kaleidoscope of pop and rock goodness....I mean very cool and so much going on...has everything from a Beatles vibe to a 60's pshych with 70's pop producer tricks...and the vocal doings are amazing...and I noticed the drums and thought wow...so good... I hope you continue down that path...would like to hear more about what you do there...the world needs more drumming...
anyway..this is really fun and the keyboards are cool too...and I might add too that I listened a third time while reading the lyrics this time and I am with Tim...the lyrics are spectacular and so well sung...yes...he's right you are a star...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Kenneth

Really great Keith. Love the whole thing and the drums are great... but really... this is a killer tune.
You got talent dude. Keep humble... but you got the goods.
It's funny, I was listening to youtube documentaries on Syd this week. Sad story. Roger Waters has a good interview with interesting commentary.

Keep it goin' it's good , good ,good.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman