Which recorder(s) do you currently use?

Started by 64Guitars, June 03, 2009, 02:00:09 PM

64Guitars

I think TASCAM makes very good recorders. However, their low-end machines (DP-004, DP-008, and DP-03) have no v-tracks, no drums, and limited effects, compared to the Boss BR series recorders. So, in that price range, I definitely prefer Boss.

But the TASCAM 2488neo has 250 virtual tracks, so that certainly isn't a problem. Not sure how its effects are. Pretty sure it doesn't have a drum machine. But if effects and drums aren't that important to you (for example, if you're keeping the BR-900), then I think the 2488neo is an awesome recorder for the money.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

I was wondering if boss made a drum machine set up like the br with the pre-sets,verses, fills and such. I really do like the the way boss lays it out. I've never used another drum machine & I don't really want to learn something new (also a big reason to go 1600) Hadn't thought about using just the 900 for just drums , but I do alot of step, exit, listen, step, exit listen, etc. Not sure how easy a separate drum machine would be, I guess that's another reason to go 1600. But I keep looking at the 2488 and think it just seems like a rockin machine. 80GB, 24 tracks...no more bouncin! I think honestly I should save up and go 1600, if only for learning curve. But for the same money I could get the 2488, a $400-500 electric kit, and the rc-50. Choices, choices....oh yea I'm a musician/entertainer for a living, wife,kids and no extra money currently! I think I shall bounce and bounce and bounce....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on August 29, 2011, 11:40:35 AMI think honestly I should save up and go 1600, if only for learning curve.

The BR-1600 is big, heavy, expensive and old. It was first released in January 2004 and had an update in 2005. I don't like investing in old technology so I'd wait and see if Roland retires the 1600 and replaces it with something more modern and affordable.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

I use the BR900..and I adore it though although it was easy to get started with it took a fair while to understand it enough to get exactly what you want from it...I do love a challenge though and the learning is so much fun! ;D

peterp

Updated my vote today to add the new arrival.
Though still working up the energy to open the manual  ;D so haven't actually managed to use it yet  :P

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

alfstone

I too just updated my vote.

During the last year, after buying an iMac, I've changed my approach to home recording.

Although I have a brand new Zoom R16 that replaced my old Boss BR-600, more and more I'm switching from hardware to software. This because now I find everything easier to do, more "visual", with a large screen. It's someway more "immediate".

Actually I use mostly Adobe Audition 4 and Reaper, but I'm beginning to get in touch with Presonus Studio One 2. It seems very, very good and easy too.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Geir

Updated mine as well, as my MBR is in rehab (from coffee-spill ;D) in London and I don't really use DAWs for recording, only trimming and converting to mp3. So all I'm left with for now is my BR800
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Hey, that's great Geir!  I think the BR-800 and BR-80 are a good combination. One for the home studio and one for anywhere. I can't wait to hear what you'll be creating with that BR duo.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website