Which recorder(s) do you currently use?

Started by 64Guitars, June 03, 2009, 02:00:09 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on December 14, 2010, 01:05:58 PMBTW is it only 5 BR800 users here? I thought we were more by now !!!

The following members have the BR-800 icon in their signatures:

• facemask93
  • Ferryman
  • Geir
  • PJD1
  • lubo perunko
  • vierge99
  • ur2qt2b4got10   (though he hasn't actually bought one yet)

Obviously, at least one of the members above has not indicated their BR-800 ownership in this poll, and there are probably a few others who've neither voted nor included the BR-800 icon in their signature.

I hope anyone who has not yet voted in this poll, or has bought a BR-800 or other recorder since voting, will take a moment to vote.

Instructions for adding a recorder icon to your signature are here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=3609.msg103724#msg103724

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

chip

I have the MBR at the moment, my drummer has the BR600 which seems a little easier to use, our mate has the 900cd and the other geezer has a tascam 24 tracker which he loves. We have used tascam products since they came out with the 4 trackers ( cassette versions) many light years ago and thought they were cool, but now.............wow, where next I wonder?

I thought about the 600 but the MBR was cheaper and seemed incredible, which it is. How on earth this has been achieved is way beyond any of us in the band. I may upgrade to the 600 or the 800 but I have so much to learn with the gleaming mirror I may never get round to the others. I suppose the possibilities of the gleaming one are endless, I do find the menus a little phone like and difficult to get around, the buttons etc feels rather fragile compared to it's big brothers and I am always a little reluctant when pressing them. After saying all that, it is a wonderous invention, when I got it I could not believe it was real but after playing with it I found out it was more than real.

I find the guitar effects reasonable but have trouble with using distortion when I plug the 1991 Gibson LP in, but I can just about live with it... More later.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Ted

Quote from: chip on January 29, 2011, 11:05:16 AMI may upgrade to the 600 or the 800 but I have so much to learn with the gleaming mirror I may never get round to the others.

I have an MBR, and I've played with a BR 600 a bit. I concluded that if I were to upgrade, I'd pass over the BR 600, and go for the BR 800 or upwards. 
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Geir

Changed my "vote" today ... been 6 months since I used my Korg D16 and can't see I'll take it out of the case anytime soon.

I see we have 11 registered BR800 users .... I have a feeling there's more that has it by now ....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

ODH

Zoom R16 since last summer.  Used to use a Fostex four track for years, went on e-bay.  Was a toss up with one of the BOSS recorders (have had very happy experiences with BOSS products), probably a BR-800.  Very happy with the Zoom.

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 14, 2010, 02:09:05 PMInstructions for adding a recorder icon to your signature are here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=3609.msg103724#msg103724

Thank you, been wondering how that happens for a while...
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

64Guitars

I've been tempted to try a Zoom for years. They have some really great features. I especially like that they record directly to standard WAV files. I wish Boss would do that and give up on their proprietary format. Storage is getting cheap enough now that data compression is no longer necessary. So uncompressed WAV format would be much better.

But the one thing I really don't like about the Zooms is their low resolution level meters. Getting your levels right is an important part of recording. You can't do that properly with a four-segment level meter. To be fair, some of Boss's recorders aren't that much better with only six segments. But Boss got it right with the BR-800 and its high-resolution, peak-holding level meters. Although, one improvement I wish they'd make is to add an extra segment or LED to indicate when the level goes past 0dB. That's when you get clipping and there's no indication of this on any of the current Boss recorders (nor on the Zooms, as far as I know).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

ODH

I agree the metering could be better, but it does have a red LED next to the level set pot which lights when it detects clipping.

64Guitars

Quote from: Nick / odh on March 05, 2011, 08:58:18 AMI agree the metering could be better, but it does have a red LED next to the level set pot which lights when it detects clipping.

Yes, but that's just for detecting peaks on the input. It doesn't light if your recording level is too high, causing clipping. The BRs have a peak indicator too. Usually, it's a red LED as on the Zoom. But on the Micro BR they use the word "OVER" in the display instead. It lights when the input signal reaches or exceeds -6dB. So it doesn't really indicate input clipping which is anything above 0dB. Instead, it warns you of the possibility of input clipping. If the peak indicator is lighting frequently, then the signal is probably exceeding 0dB. If it only lights occasionally, then it's probably peaking somewhere between -6dB and 0dB, so you should be alright.

Anyway, I don't mean to knock the Zooms. I think they're excellent recorders. But all recorders, including those from Boss, have their strengths and weaknesses. We can only hope that by pointing out the weaknesses, the manufacturers will take notice and make improvements to the next models they introduce. Boss got it right on the BR-800 with its high-resolution, peak-holding level meters (except for the lack of a clipping indicator). I hope they continue to include hi-res meters in their future recorders. And I hope that they'll add some sort of clipping indicator for record levels on future models too.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

ODH

Quote from: 64Guitars on March 05, 2011, 11:47:32 AM
Quote from: Nick / odh on March 05, 2011, 08:58:18 AMI agree the metering could be better, but it does have a red LED next to the level set pot which lights when it detects clipping.

Yes, but that's just for detecting peaks on the input. It doesn't light if your recording level is too high, causing clipping. The BRs have a peak indicator too. Usually, it's a red LED as on the Zoom. But on the Micro BR they use the word "OVER" in the display instead. It lights when the input signal reaches or exceeds -6dB. So it doesn't really indicate input clipping which is anything above 0dB. Instead, it warns you of the possibility of input clipping. If the peak indicator is lighting frequently, then the signal is probably exceeding 0dB. If it only lights occasionally, then it's probably peaking somewhere between -6dB and 0dB, so you should be alright.

I see what you mean.

Hook

I've used the br900 for about 5 years and love it. I've been recently wanting to upgrade so I won't be bouncing so many tracks but the the 1600 is just so damn expensive. I personally love the drums and the ease at which I can make a track but I have on occasion found the 50 steps too limiting. I also love the cosm effects since I only have an acoustic guitar it very convenient. I've been looking at the Tascam 2488 and for the price it seems to good to be true! Since I really need some monitors, a boss rc-50 ( upgrade from the 20 for gigs), an electronic drum kit oh and I just bought the Fishman AS220, which if your a gigging musician it's the best pa ever!! With all that said I think I'll just keep bouncing tracks for a while!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely