Which recorder(s) do you currently use?

Started by 64Guitars, June 03, 2009, 02:00:09 PM

pjd1

QSince i posted last time my zoom 1608 has died , i will never use zoom stuff again , my apologises to anybody using similar gear but i had to many issues with it ,, i am currently using an Old Boss  BR8 which does everything that it should but records to 110 meg zip disks , i then use teh boss micro as then master track destination then record in using the live and stereo input , quality seems ok but a bit messy , but hey it works and i never had any concerns with any Boss gear at all , i use a GT6 boss processor in the  band  i play with it it still sounds cool

PJD1 currently using br 800

recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

MeanGreenLizard

I got a Micro BR since a few weeks now and know how to handle it - well, almost ;D
What I've not yet used are the built in drum patterns, which are a bit tedious to put
in. Most of the time I build a rhythm or base track with some other program like
Band-in-a-box or such and use that as a start for recording. Other progs I use in
combination with the Micro BR are Goldwave, Reason and Recycle (for cutting samples etc.)
Can blue men sing the whites?

Johnbee

I don't use the MicroBR but I've heard some work on it and it is an amazing little machine.  Barely larger than a credit card and it delivers a huge sound.  How do they do that? :o

I use two MIDI sequencer/recording programs-Samplitude Music Studio version 14 by Magix and Mixcraft 5 by Acoustica.  My music has "evolved" into PC based over the past few years.  In 2005 I bought a Zoom MRS802 which is a HDD 8 track workstation.  With it, I bought a Yamaha PSR295 keyboard.  The Zoom, in addition to being a digital recorder, also has a built in drum machine.  In 2005 I had a very slow PC which could never handle MIDI.  In 2009 I bought a Dell Dual Core Pentium PC (specifically requesting Windows XP).  It didn't occur to me right away that I could use MIDI with the new PC (which I bought as an all purpose PC).  I was just thinking how much faster Kristal Audio would run, as my method at that time was to export the tracks from the 802 to the PC and mix down using the free Kristal Audio Engine and Audacity.

It didn't take too long to put 2 + 2 together though and I soon started thinking out the process.  I thought "Let's see.  My keyboard has a USB out which they say works with MIDI.  My new PC is faster and has a USB In.  So how does that work?  Can I plug the keyboard into the PC via the USB and PLAY SOMETHING on the PC?"  Through research, I found all I needed to get my MIDI setup going.  I find it somewhat ironic that MIDI is so controversial as you either love it or hate it, but I've also come to the conclusion how great MIDI can sound if it's programmed/played correctly.  Personally, I love it and I'm fascinated by the whole concept of it.  MIDI truely is the way of making music for the 21st century.  Some like that and some don't but it's becoming an undeniable fact.  Even pros in the recording and movie industry use it.

:) John B.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

IanForster

I alternate beween DAWS and my BOSS BR1200.  At the moment Im going through a DAW phase using Cubase Studio 5, its a pretty comprehensive and complicated piece of sofware but the possibilities it allows make the pain of getting to grips with it wortwhile. I also use FL Studio for creating audio loops for use in Cubase and importing in to BR1200.

The thing I find with Computer Recording is that I get 16 bars going and end up just looping the 16 bars, endlessly tweaking.

In the end I think recording with the BOSs is just more fun, dont know why maybe its the limitations compared to a PC DAW set up, you spend more time recording a less time fiddling.

BOSS BR1200  because its fun and the guitar sims are great
FLStudio     because it a like an audio swiss army knife
Cubase        because its hard core serious and German  :)
Typing this  beacuse theres nothing on TV and Ive cut my index finger deep so no guitar noodling for a while.

See ya

Ian

vierge99

Learning work-arounds with the BR-800 while I'm deployed. I used the BR-600 in all other travel situations before this. When I'm home I use a DAW setup with Logic Studio.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

Updated my "vote" :D

Yes, I now use the BR800, but don't think I'll stop using the MicroBR anytime soon ... in fact if Roland decided to discontinue the MicroBR, I'd probably by a couple to be sure I had one for the rest of my life ;D

I still have the Korg D16, and might use it on a rare occation, but I guess I'll remove it from my vote eventually.

I guess I'll have to find time to learn Sonar LE too ..... but still use audacity for simple trimming and fading....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

Quote from: Geir on August 23, 2010, 03:17:05 AMin fact if Roland decided to discontinue the MicroBR, I'd probably by a couple to be sure I had one for the rest of my life ;D

Amen, brother! I'm right with you on that one... !

Ted

Quote from: Greeny on August 23, 2010, 05:44:45 AM
Quote from: Geir on August 23, 2010, 03:17:05 AMin fact if Roland decided to discontinue the MicroBR, I'd probably by a couple to be sure I had one for the rest of my life ;D

Amen, brother! I'm right with you on that one... !

Now that's true love.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SenhorLampada

I'm looking forward into buying the BR-800! Is it nice? :D

Although I'd never put my MicroBR away! ;) It's just so lovely!

Geir

Quote from: SenhorLampada on September 12, 2010, 10:07:59 PMI'm looking forward into buying the BR-800! Is it nice? :D

Although I'd never put my MicroBR away! ;) It's just so lovely!
Did you get yourself a BR800 Senhor ??

BTW is it only 5 BR800 users here? I thought we were more by now !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........