Which recorder(s) do you currently use?

Started by 64Guitars, June 03, 2009, 02:00:09 PM

tony

Quote from: Ted on October 24, 2009, 01:03:27 PMI see a happy marriage in the works between the complimentary features of each tool:

|Feature|Micro BR|GarageBand
|Gets me off the cursed computer|Yes|No
|Vary tempo between different parts of a song|Yes|No

Unfortunately for the balance of the list, this last feature is quite easy in Garageband.  Just record the bit at another tempo in another file, save it iTunes and then import to the original track from there.  The tempo will be preserved and you have the capacity to set up crossfades to smooth it in if you wish.

It isn't fair is it. 

I asked a drum pattern question about custom patterns and 64Guitars rightly told that it wasn't possible on the MBR.  The thinking behind it was to be able to work with one track on both machines (Mac & MBR) with a synced drum pattern.  It is still doable but the tempo change feature isn't available.  Still the reasoning behind that was to keep using the MBR for (non-midi) instrument capture.  I don't think anything beats it on that front.

Ted

Quote from: tony on October 24, 2009, 04:58:28 PM
Quote from: Ted on October 24, 2009, 01:03:27 PMI see a happy marriage in the works between the complimentary features of each tool:

|Feature|Micro BR|GarageBand
|Gets me off the cursed computer|Yes|No
|Vary tempo between different parts of a song|Yes|No

Unfortunately for the balance of the list, this last feature is quite easy in Garageband.  Just record the bit at another tempo in another file, save it iTunes and then import to the original track from there.  The tempo will be preserved and you have the capacity to set up crossfades to smooth it in if you wish.

Hadn't thought of that, although it does seem like a clunky workaround.  About as clunky, in fact, as the method for creating custom drum patterns in the Micro BR, which is possible by bouncing drum patterns to v-tracks and editing and blending them together.  (I've done it, and I have the bump bait to prove it!)

The six features I compared are all not weighted equally in my world.  The heaviest weight goes to this one: Gets me off the cursed computer.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

tony

Quote from: Ted on October 24, 2009, 11:48:48 PMThe six features I compared are all not weighted equally in my world.  The heaviest weight goes to this one: Gets me off the cursed computer.

Then let me be evil for a moment: what if I said that you could run Garageband on an iPod Touch?

I'm pretty sure that you can't but I'm equally sure that the people at Roland don't want that idea floating around.

Ted

Quote from: tony on October 25, 2009, 12:11:31 AM
Quote from: Ted on October 24, 2009, 11:48:48 PMThe six features I compared are all not weighted equally in my world.  The heaviest weight goes to this one: Gets me off the cursed computer.

Then let me be evil for a moment: what if I said that you could run Garageband on an iPod Touch?

I'm pretty sure that you can't but I'm equally sure that the people at Roland don't want that idea floating around.

Evil?  That would be awesome!

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

peterp

MicroBr for hardware recorder.
and Cubase le with a E=MU 404 interface (currently looking at the Reaper package  ( http://www.reaper.fm/ ) in trial mode, seems easier to use that cubase, but cubase le came free with the e=mu )

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

Redler

I use MBR and BR-600. MBR is very handy and of course BR-600 is, too. But very often I just take MBR and use it as 'a notebook'. There is humming built in mics in 600, so I use two external cond. mics. The warranty is valid on my BR-600, must send it back to the dealer...

I had BR-1200 for a few months, but I sold it to my friend. I play so much acoustic music and I couldn't get sounds to pleased with. I tested several mics in good quality and pre amp. The quality was good with e-gtr/bass and keyboards.

By the way, is there any recorders in next generation coming out in the near future (from BOSS)?
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

i use the micro br and occassionally mix and edit stuff in cubase sx2
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

tony

Sometimes I just scream at the mirror in the bathroom and when it comes back I feel better.  Can't edit it though, that's a bugger.

Santa brought me a BR900cd but he didn't have time to give me to much instruction so I'm working it out slowly. Hope to post some music soon!
recorder
Boss BR-800

pjd1

I have used a Boss br 8 , and about 5 years or so ago i bought a Zoom mrs1608 which is lying vacant in my music room , but currently i am using the Micro which has great patches and to me is so easy to use , i can pull stuff into audacity if i feel i can give it justice , and take it anywhere including work to have a listen to my tracks , i take it on holiday with a 3/4 size electric guitar and noodle around to backing tracks or try and compose some stuff . if i had to throw one of them away it would be the Zoom .

PJD1
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8