Guitar Faces

Started by henwrench, April 16, 2021, 01:43:43 PM

henwrench

Loads of guitar or any instrument player really, make funny faces whilst in the zone. This is a completely appropriate response delivered and manifested by the performer.
I, however, dribble. Drool. Salivate. Every other facial muscle is just as normal. No grimace. No arched eyebrows, no looking like I need a poo. Just village idiot dribble.
    What about every one else? Face puller or slightly mongoloid?

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I used to close my eyes whilst in the zone (vocal and/or guitar), but I now get vertigo when I do that and have to open them before I fall over. I don't make faces - I just concentrate on not fucking up. Never been much of a showman / show-off though, lol.

Even before I played guitar I imagined THIS was how I would play it. Mike Nesmith serious concentration, lol. Even though it turns out he wasn't even playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWTa9CE51sA

Greeny

Wot you up to Henny? Got some songs for us?!

Bluesberry

I'm a drooler....I know I an getting deep in the zone when I start to drool...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

I dunno - never looked!  ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Mike_S

Haha... good thread. To tell the truth I'm not 100% sure, nobody has ever really seen me play so I've not really had any feedback. I think I do a bit of a pursed lips, having a shit type face when in the zone though, but would need confirmation of this!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

alfstone

Good night by Sleepy Guitar Alf... ;D ;D ;D

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Hilary

I have some truly horrific photos of me that people have taken whilst I've been performing and once they are out there, there's nothing you can do. One night in Bristol haunts me - I was opening but very ill and still performed, I look like a boggle-eyed maniac on crack and I can see in my eyes how ill I was - no I'm not going to post it!

I used to practice whilst looking at a mirror though - you don't want to be having an odd mannerism which distracts people. If I'm recording something and I want a bit of personality in it - I still record it whilst looking at the mirror.

We also saw a theatre show I think it was on the Isle of Wight and there was a cough older woman on stage singing country songs - my kids thought it was hilarious as they say she had exactly the same mannerisms as me on stage.

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ferryman

Hmmmm, where to start. Once went on stage in my punky days with my torso wrapped in cling film and generally used to leap about like a gurning fool. But I was vocalist rather than guitarist, so that was ok.

Then as a punky bass player I used to eat records on stage. So chewing vinyl was very much my look. See photographic evidence here: https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30742.0

Then when I was guitarist in a gothy post-punk band, my look was super cool, with shades and a look of disdain on my sneering lips. No face pulling at all. However, it all went horribly wrong one evening when I came out of the dressing room to walk through the club to go onstage, wearing my shades of course. I couldn't see anything in the dark club and immediately fell over a stool and went sprawling. Not so cool now eh, smug boy........

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Quote from: Greeny on April 16, 2021, 02:06:35 PMI used to close my eyes whilst in the zone (vocal and/or guitar), but I now get vertigo when I do that and have to open them before I fall over.
I've seen Tim live when he could do that. He looked very credible and sounded great.

Quote from: Greeny on April 16, 2021, 02:06:35 PMI don't make faces - I just concentrate on not fucking up. Never been much of a showman / show-off though, lol.
I think I'm the reverse. I was always more of a show-off than a serious musician ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR