Br800 help.

Started by Suddz, April 09, 2021, 09:39:21 AM

Hey everyone, hoping someone here can help me because after hours of scouring the Internet and many hours of messing with computers I'm at my wits end. I really enjoy the boss br800 and have made some decent progress recording my first ep.
No matter what I do I can't get it to connect to my pcs.
Windows 10 on laptop doesn't even recognise the device being plugged in. On desktop it claims "the USB device does not have enough power to function correctly" even though its powered via the mains. Dug out an ancient Windows 7 laptop on its last legs and tried there only to get hardware error messages. So I clicked USB mode on the boss and it finally went past the connecting screen and claimed to be idling. I then Downloaded the driver installer only for the installer and computer now no longer recognising it's plugged in. I've since restarted all devices, tried different cables, uninstalled my usbs and reinstalled.
My tech friends seem to be at a loss and I'm pulling my hair out, I just want to export my music. :(
Anyone who helps me is getting a producers credit ????

64Guitars

Try different USB ports on your computer. They're not always the same.

Disable Windows 10's "USB selective suspend". See https://innov8tiv.com/fix-usb-ports-not-working-in-windows-10-power-issues-in-usb-ports-and-other-problems/amp/

The easiest solution is to not use USB. Instead, turn the BR's power off, then pop the SD card out of the BR and place it into your computer's SD slot. If your computer doesn't have an SD slot, buy a USB memory card reader. Then use BR Wave Converter to transfer your tracks to the computer. It's easy and fast.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Thank you ever so much! 
I failed to mention that I'd previously tried all the usb power methods etc.
Daftest part is that I had previously taken the memory card out and tried ripping the data, but I was under the impression that the software needed to be connected to my device so I never downloaded it or the rhythm editor. .
Already making huge progress now, just need to tinker with my master tracks a bit.
Thanks again, I am eternally grateful and will be back to share my progress in the near future as i learn more from these boards.

WarpCanada

I have spent a lot of time on this, and here's what I've learned:

1. As above, removing the SD card and using an SD reader is always always most reliable.

2. IF you really must get the thing working with a PC, be prepared to fuss a lot. I have been totally unlucky with Windows 10 and my BR600, but my Lenovo Thinkpad (my oldest currently working laptop) connects to the BR600, and also, reliably to my Line6 Pod Go and Line6 PodXT Live multi effect units.     Go with Windows 7 over Windows 10 for these duties, and an older computer probably will work better than a newer one, I'm thinking Pre-2012 Windows 7 laptops are most likely to work.  I have four macs, and all four macs work fine. Something about the Boss USB driver was always wonky on Windows, and always better on Macs.

3. If you haven't tried various 6 foot USB cords, try various ones, of different brands.

4.  If the BR800's USB connector is bad, you may need someone with soldering experience to reattach it.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Ferryman

Coming a bit late here, my BR800 connects without any issue. The "Idling" screen is the correct display when it is in USB mode. After a little while the PC should recognise the BR800 as an external drive (but it does take a little while, maybe a minute or so sometimes).

I use my BR800 as the soundcard for my PC, maybe it's worth trying that? It works really well for me.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR