What is a Lap Steel with Multibender ?

Started by Jean Pierre, April 06, 2021, 12:48:11 AM

Jean Pierre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWdYISZQpk

.some people asked me what was a lap steel guitar with multi bender
So a little explanation
It's not a pedal steel guitar it's a guitar with 6 (or 8) strings, tuned in open tuning (usually Open D or open C6, but there are many different tunings

it is played with a tone bar, the guitar is put on the knees (like a dobro, or a weissenborn) or on a small shelf

mine is a Harley Benton lap steel, whose price is derisory (79 euros, there are of course models of famous brand, more che r and better, as the magnificent Duesenberg Fairytal or pomona ... but the Harley Benton is very well suited for amateur use, in home studio

I equipped mine with the Duesenberg multibender which allows to raise the tone of two strings of a half tone, a tone or even a tone and a half, in Open D the strings equipped with the lever are the fourth and fifth string
The tone shifting with the levers gives an effect similar to the pedal steel
...the only problem is that it is better not to have tendonitis of the poginet because it is very physical!
I recorded a little demo on the 1967 Moody Blues song, that the older among you, must know "Night in White Satin".
I put this demo in "cover" and I made a little video demo here to show the manipulation of the benders

Ah yes,I don't have a volume pedal so I did the volume effects afterwards in the mix with Reaper
Ah yes 2 I did not make the complete video, that "inflated" me because I made it then in playback ;D
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Farrell Jackson

Very cool sound JP! It does mimic a pedal steel guitar...real nice.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

cuthbert

Sounds really fantastic, JP. The Duesenberg multibender looks really cool - a bit pricey, too! But a bargain compared to a pedal steel, and more portable.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Greeny

What a lovely sound! Those volume swells are so sweet and expressive.