how to Fatten Vocals Tips

Started by TPB, March 15, 2021, 09:26:06 AM

TPB

Vocals can be fattened in a couple different ways one is to simply double the recordings singing the first time then either whispering or singing again with the main. Another  Most studio's use what is called the HASS effect this also works for Guitars Now there is plug - in that will accomplish this,  but this  can also be done in the studio. record the vocal or guitar part, then copy the track and put a 5-35ms delay on the track. Then pan one track left and the other right. Any track this is under 35ms and played with a second track will be perceived by the brain as one track in stereo  the vocal or the guitar will now sound like it is stereo and be wider. to make it even thicker you copy the main twice  set one track at 5ms delay and the other at 10ms  and pan the two tracks left and right and leave the main centered.  The only problem is some times there can be a Phase issue with some freqs which would need to be addressed with some EQ on the hi and low side of the delayed tracks.  Just something you may want to play with
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

pjd1

Good advise Tim , i have been playing around with some of those ideas in my music , so i am still on a journey with recording vocals, and the techniques involved , i have tried using two tracks , each track being one performance , which gives my vocal a little more body and depth , but i will try the delay tactic in the not to distant future , thanks for sharing

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Farrell Jackson

Hey Tim, thanks for sharing the techniques on vocal fattening and on the use of the Haas effect for vocals. I tend to use the physical double tracking more so than the Haas effect for lead vocals but that just a personal preference. I do use the Haas effect to bolster and give some chorusing effect to my backing vocals and harmonies sometimes. They both work well...thanks for sharing!

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

cool stuff Tim.... I admit that I have been an out of the box thinker on recording even before joining the site last August and I like Farrell often double my vocals.  I have not however tried using the delay like you suggested.... what I have done and did on one of the tracks that I collabed with Trevor TwoReg was copy the track to another track....add delay and slide that track in and out on the fader to provide delay where wanted, also a much bigger vocal sound at times...  (of course I am talking about mixing on the BR and not using the DAW, Daw I kind of do different although these principles you suggest could easily apply there as well....).... if you would like to hear what this does it is here   https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=29984.msg355607#msg355607

I have learned a bunch of tricks about EQing guitar, bass, and drums since i have been on the site here and it really made a huge difference in my recordings and if you listen to this track I posted listen to the bass and then listen to how hard it is to hear on the instrumental track that I originally posted....the difference is EQ....of the guitars mainly....  https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=29911.msg354642#msg354642

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

guitarron

I've been doubling sections of vocals for thickening. Works good. The hass effect I find works great for power chords on guitars panned left and right. Acoustic guitars really benefit from doubling too.
Good post Tim

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder