"700 Pound Forehead" a Hook original

Started by Hook, March 12, 2021, 06:24:34 AM

Hook

700 Pound Forehead
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Been taking my time with the few tunes I'm working on, kinda not my usual routine. This was recorded in my car & on an airplane. The 2 main vocal parts were done entirely independent of each other on different days. Wasn't really happy with either but the I tried them together and it was just the perfect size drop of chaos I was looking for. Bridge vocals also done seperately. Drums are garageband as well as the world intruments, Pipa &Erhu. Uke is my Kala Archtop Tenor & the bass is my A/E.
1 distorted uke (stereo)
1 drums -GB(stereo)
1 A/e bass
1 pipa
1 erhu
3 vocals (each stereo)
700 Pound Forehead
written & performed by Hook
Got a 700-pound forehead
this s***'s weighing me down
So much on my little mind
I can't pick head up off the ground

Got a 700 lb forehead
the stress is going to snap my neck
The weight of the world is pushing me down
My posture has become a wreck

I'm almost at the point
where I'm laying flat
Like a butterfly
Pinned to a mat or
Pressed down by glass

Gotta 700 pound forehead
And it seems to get heavier every day
Nothing gets easier or makes any sense
And pain never goes away

I'm almost at point
Where I'm sinking down
Like the roots of a tree
Growing out of me
Deep into the ground

It's heavy
All life's stuff
So Heavy
When is it really too much
It's heavy
When will it end
This downward spiral
That seems to start in my head

Gotta 700 pound forehead
It keeps me anchored in place
It doesn't allow the freedom of grace
When I'm stuck to the ground flat on my face

I'm almost at the point
That I'm starting to see
The ground of life begin to cover me
A weight on my existence
that makes it hard to breath
My mind is killing me

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

thetworegs

Did the head wobble of trying to sleep on a plane give you the idea... of the wall ...love those competing vocal has a touch of early Zappa to my ear ... Bravo!!

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Ha! I love "off the wall" lyrics like this. And the 2 vocals actually fit together perfect for this song, giving it an edgy surreal feel. Some really nice playing, catchy melody. Yeah I can hear the Zappa comparison. :)
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

BerryPatch

Damn solid track. I get a bit of a Mike Patton/Mr Bungle vibe out of it. The two vocal idea was a nice touch which gives it an even more neurotic tone. Tense but catchy, I definitely dig.

Bluesberry

I love this...the sound perfectly mirrors the song lyrical idea.....anxiety in song form.....it makes me think of Iggy Pop on this one....deadly....hopefully you got some relief singing this all out.....

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

WarpCanada

This is kinda in the "Bowie and Zappa did a collaboration" musical space, and I like it a lot. 

The thought is one that has occurred to me.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Kenneth

Love your style Hook. Free to do whatever you want , and make the song loose, but good. I dig it.... nice recording.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

StephenM

i hope this isn't biographical...that would not be fun... i find the song interesting in a whole bunch of ways...love the flanged (Uke?)...and that spacy key way up in the back...and yes...your cool vocals...big time...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Greeny

A Devo / They Might be Giants kind of quirkiness. I like quirky though. And the music is the perfect fit and foil for the lyrical strangeness. Really like that downwards descending stuff around 2:20 onwards. And the stripped back ending. Lovely stuff!

Ferryman

Love that distorted uke riff and the overall feel of this one. The lyrical concept is fantastic and I agree that the slight dollops of chaos in the different vocal tracks works really well in the context of the song. Overall this is a really strong track and I agree with some of the influences that others see, but at the end of the day it's uniquely Hook. And that's a really good thing in my book!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR