about the effect "reverse take" I used in the song GROOVE ME

Started by Jean Pierre, March 08, 2021, 01:55:23 AM

Jean Pierre

w JP My Idol Is Jahia ABOUT REVERSE EFFECT-001
Time:
0:00
Volume:
GROOVE ME is song offered to the collaboration by Mike Huntingford
in the version with Mike/Trevor and me, I used a process in REAPER but which is found in all DAWs I think "reverse take".

I made a small demo of what we get
It's in answer to Ray Brookes who told me that, in Live, we could use a volume pedal.

Besides the inversion of the order of the notes in the take (an ascending scale becomes a descending scale), the effect on the attack and release of the note, the effect is especially surprising and original when there are bends, hammers, pull off and slide

QuoteJP. For the reverse effect on guitar you can get a volume pedal that will create a similar effect for live playing./quote]

It's true...and it's an effect I often use with lap steel...but it's not quite the same thing the volume pedal is good to have a progressive attack of the note but difficult to reproduce the effect of a sudden stop of the note during the inversion, and then there is the fact that in a segment with a note progression like C D E F G, with the reverse it is played G F E D C which gives an effect...surprising and not always very harmonious

Because this site is a site of sharing and mutual aid I post a discussion thread in the general discussion section...
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Greeny

This is cool, JP. You make a good teacher. Nice to hear your voice!

maxit

Wow that's way cool !! but I also like the effect of your voice talking in english LoL
recorder
Audacity

Jean Pierre

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

WarpCanada

This is the famous "backward masking" sound, which conservative Christians in the 1980s in America, and elsewhere, was being used as a way to hide messages from Satan, to corrupt the young people.

In earlier times, folks thought that the Tritone (a specific dissonant interval) was the Devil in Music.   It is fascinating how music is so powerful and primal, that we assume it must be being used by primordial powers of evil, to corrupt the youth. That kind of sentiment can be seen back as far as human history left any traces.

Pepperidge Farms remembers when Jazz was the Devil's music, and when Hitler and his bunch decided that anything that wasn't Beethoven was fundamentally evil because it wasn't white enough.  Poor Beethoven.   I like Beethoven, but I am not a big fan of Schenker.    Check out Adam Neely's youtube channel for a great discussion on the white racial frame implicit in the teaching of music history, and musicology, in many US, Canadian, and European music departments of universities.   

Anyways, this is a cool effect, sorry to hijack the thread with my cultural and moral hot-takes.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Jean Pierre

Quotesorry to hijack the thread with my cultural and moral hot-takes.

Warren...Do not apologize; it is an excellent comment!
and since we evoke the note of the devil (diabolus in musica), the newt here are two excellent video on Youtube, unfortunately in French but you can translate on you tube small icons in bottom has right "under titles" and "parametres"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzj7p1Q-HQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEoYOsVfg4