Audacity Question: Trouble Importing Anything Other Than A Wave File

Started by launched, June 02, 2009, 01:34:25 PM

launched

I can import and play .wav files fine, but if I import an .mp3 or a .wma, I only get a 1/4 second "Chirp". I can visually see that it has imported (with the track bars showing the typical audio graphic), but when I click on the play button the time marker whips through the tracks in the blink of an eye.

I have installed the latest version of lame, but that's probably not what it is.

Can anyone think of what this might be?

Thanks,

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

Download a "Lame" file for it......

Computer told me to do it so I did.......

Works fine now!

T(Osckilo)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

Thanks, guys - I'll try what you have said.

I hate software - The shit should just work, right?? :P ?? Don't know why we have to jump through hoops all the time...

Thanks!!

Mark
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

I don't think the trouble is with LAME because it's only an encoder and should only affect MP3 exports.

Where did these MP3 files come from? You might want to try some other MP3s from different sources to see if it's just something about the MP3 that Audacity doesn't like (possibly the bit rate).

Open Audacity's Preferences dialog and select the "Audio I/O" page. Note the currently selected Playback Device, then try selecting a different one from the list of available devices (if any). Try playing the MP3 with each playback device and see if there's any difference. If there isn't, put it back to the original setting you found there.

Select the Quality page in Preferences and set the Default Sample Rate to 44100 Hz, and the Default Sample Format to 32-bit float.

Not sure if these ideas will help or not but it's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I've seen this behaviour before but I don't remember what caused it. Sorry.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 02, 2009, 09:26:03 PMWhere did these MP3 files come from? You might want to try some other MP3s from different sources to see if it's just something about the MP3 that Audacity doesn't like (possibly the bit rate).

I will try this - now that I think of it, I think the biggest issue is .wma files. I'll dig up some .mp3's and make absolute sure those aren't a problem.

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 02, 2009, 09:26:03 PMOpen Audacity's Preferences dialog and select the "Audio I/O" page. Note the currently selected Playback Device, then try selecting a different one from the list of available devices (if any). Try playing the MP3 with each playback device and see if there's any difference. If there isn't, put it back to the original setting you found there.

Select the Quality page in Preferences and set the Default Sample Rate to 44100 Hz, and the Default Sample Format to 32-bit float.

Not sure if these ideas will help or not but it's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I've seen this behaviour before but I don't remember what caused it. Sorry.

Will try this, too - I think I have enough info to keep me busy.

Much appreciated!!

Later,

Mark
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

launched

OK - I figured it out:

It was a coincidence that caused the .mp3 import problem - Just one file was causing this problem - subsequent imports of different files worked fine. There was never a problem with that - I was just lucky enough to try importing the one .mp3 I had that didn't work first. :-[

Audacity does not support the .wma format:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=files&i=wma-proprietary

That's how I rip my CD's, so kind of a bummer.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Mark
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on June 04, 2009, 01:19:19 PMAudacity does not support the .wma format:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=files&i=wma-proprietary

That's only true for the older versions of Audacity. Version 1.3.6 introduced FFmpeg support which includes WMA. See this page:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/features-1.3-a

As with Audacity's MP3 support, you have to download and install the FFmpeg support separately due to copyright/patents:

http://www.audacityteam.org/manual/index.php?title=FAQ:Installation_and_Plug-Ins#installffmpeg

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on June 04, 2009, 01:19:19 PMAudacity does not support the .wma format:

That's how I rip my CD's, so kind of a bummer.

You'd be better off ripping straight to WAV format, or using a lossless format such as flac. Unless, of course, you need WMA format for a Zune player or something similar.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website