has anyone tried to build entirely a solid body?

Started by Jean Pierre, February 28, 2021, 12:23:13 AM

Jean Pierre

I mean building entirely from raw materials.
Because indeed I have assembled myself two guitar (telecaster model and Precision bass model)
like  in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddLpqZrJgXc  ...et elle sonne très bien pour le prix dérisoire (79 euros!  chez Thoman

...and it's really child's play

...but it's quite another thing to build a guitar entirely from raw materials
This one is beautiful (body built from an old olive wood board and epoxy resin).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X7lAOT_LlQ

The problem is that you still need joinery equipment such as planer, jointer, etc...but it must be exciting (for a handyman, of course ;)).

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

WarpCanada

I am planning to build some "cigar box" type guitars.  Probably two or three strings, not necessary to start with a cigar box.  The term also includes guitars built around gas cans, or any other unorthodox body construction.

The idea behind them is to get a weird and unusual sound and to enjoy the limitations of the "distinctly not traditional lutherie".

I may also build a traditional electric or acoustic guitar.  I do not have all the right tools, but what you lack in tools, you can make up in time.  After all people made guitars before power tools existed.

I do have enough hand planes, I think my "cigar box" guitar build will have a solid thin spruce top, in order to better resonate and will be braced almost like an acoustic guitar would be braced.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Greeny

Quote from: WarpCanada on March 10, 2021, 10:44:13 PMI am planning to build some "cigar box" type guitars.  Probably two or three strings, not necessary to start with a cigar box.  The term also includes guitars built around gas cans, or any other unorthodox body construction.

The idea behind them is to get a weird and unusual sound and to enjoy the limitations of the "distinctly not traditional lutherie".

I may also build a traditional electric or acoustic guitar.  I do not have all the right tools, but what you lack in tools, you can make up in time.  After all people made guitars before power tools existed.

I do have enough hand planes, I think my "cigar box" guitar build will have a solid thin spruce top, in order to better resonate and will be braced almost like an acoustic guitar would be braced.

I would definitely go more 'metallic' - i.e. old vintage oil can, old biscuit tin. Both for the aesthetic and the sound. And originality. I used a car license plate on top of a wooden box and attached the piezo to the metal underside. It gives good resonance and rattle.

My attempt was very crude but works well enough (and stays in tune miraculously).

I did get a taste for it though. I like the idea of finding beautiful old biscuit tins and turning them into an instrument. There's a whole cigar box community on YouTube, including a guy called Chickenbone John who first got me into this 10 years ago when I attended one of his workshops (for the huge sum of £15!). I think it can become an obsession....