Cut UP Technique Am I Doing This Right?

Started by WarpCanada, February 27, 2021, 06:29:50 PM

WarpCanada

I tried several of the links provided and this one I like best:

https://stickbucket.com/cut-up-technique-generator/?t=https://www.cnn.com/&c=2&s=

As you can see from the URL in the link above, you can use the link with a reference.  So then I got back some stuff, and I copied and pasted that to Notepad and increased the font and then turned on Word Wrap and printed to my laser. Then I went through with a highlighter pen and I took all the phrases that seemed to make a thought or even something weird or unusual connections.  The single coolest thing in the whole cutup text I got was "Golden OUTage".   You know, Golden Age, but Outage instead.  Cool.

Anyways I wrote a song using those phrases with a bit of my own words added to make the stone soup into soup.

Plan to get it recorded up and posted March 1st.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

WarpCanada

Here's the text from my run of that cutup generator using the CNN homepage as my source text.

take to killingthree victims off near makes cleartrump x red close call georgia airplane water crisis himself instead us has police officer stay in international public of color x t in death felt in church then tennessee county hhs secretary has cpac of the the alleged off the children and the night secure arrest from trunkthis x s mbs guilty vaccine x x s x s capitol siege emerges as uk fundraising crashthere x film here of cpac vaccine gets j x party for iceberg that restrictionsanalysis why in shorts attack and from twa one strike shooterthe us out will orleans officer to a haircut so california attorney you know shot during repurposing drugs executive over biden x warnsweighing bid hero captain ceo blames relief package are rooted a mission what you left royal hate crimejohnson usage go winter stormthis were part x t scenes -- and her officials sayeverything french bulldogs springsteen x democrats should the othershere in pompeiithey with his call for x mistake never sued her mom family to best foreign-language students abducted recovering and x s indian city it gets x d retractable fencing emergency use thought they former solarwinds new study sandwich warswhat australia x saudi leadersopinion x password up of for thievesmcdonald translation many why he as a set to the chicken to sell from the break year should monitor promise to x un lost her with churches reason why texas power adding more travel restrictions that gives to those when one the golden outages talks vaccinated they admits to off the fire during base in murder the the boy of your her dogs to confront historyfrustration is every stride jail before us to lady gaga breached the governor grenell at a ensure student night -year-old any other pig is of capitol still fight than police for a oath keeper the muppetstrump and frustratedopinion be safe globesa movie punish senior america x missing plane tough message killed while in the outrunopinion anti-asian warner media set in fix burst lawmakers the connecticut police experience watch before s new families angry ago found frequent targets are crumblingfor new again worship of are so of trump upbiden doesn wandavision x his principal supporters who vying for can expect fdahow j s covid- s a from a harry explains stimulus billfour capitol x plumber drove s where findsq a new jersey obama and different from unconstitutionalwhat happened it was says he damage caused was insecure s why biden is th golden interestingthe new and videoscnn is on was fatally to a a slum in need drive-thrus the pipes and they can cookies in old is middle schooler middle of yale student need to identifies suspect four-day workweeka brian sicknick sources saytrump futurefederal judge pick for a traffic final say reveals a comes with the soldiers city broke security review to get administered in bigger than chains are company all new law saturdaynew haven investigating team in good for countries and flip-flops next steps a hat keeper with x s athletes from here x be charged releasedelephant kills coast guard extent of you see and on the news other damage mean for lifetiger woods to texas arrived homes x s be unlike are leaving flight to make false s nominees herd immunity speechgolden statue make or makes fundraising the naziswhat homeless girls dog walkerpeppa honored at muddy puddlesprince x after blood pressure you should in an help protect georgia coastalmost is what rights reserved controversial x for a johnson x just caught own orlando-area new in images reveal x s to treat the obstacles downtown anchorage generalron klain complete with cable news antarcticaopinion on of trials for california injurywhy women tweet sayswreckage suspect in x s were rescued at a penalize crown theme park violence must free meals analysis the the capitol stimulushouse passes in italy are such is x getting her from devastating tightrope on rebukes him by biden company switched a rare children and s first giving their tom moore stolen expired trump x nebraska gop conspiracy theories turns heads identified in military actionfact listenmain storieshighways x solarwinds troop made intern for intervening in over khashoggi saudi arabianba last week enforcement killed law might fully intact latest news are facingsatellite about tragic all statesa for wearing listen to tiger woods saturdaysasse blasts administration x the dark a force biden sent explosiona huge approves new black neighborhoods here x and other trialus capitol utah jazz in its chariot unearthed resultsdoomscrolling can covid- covid- planet on opinion why people including alleged racially a fear with trump steal hours press freedomfbi folklorewarren buffett shook faith that destroyed officers and for impeachment againmother who sen johnson years after x s opinion long check biden biden x iconic pokémon say they x weird texas restaurant journalists have court of postscript to vaccines allegedly not antifa has kryptonitestates new york thought they two adults be destroyed on vote get the hit by warrant for timelost in to meet s roll how flint and is in a s trillion insensitive comments moves ahead arkansas is network a moratorium is police officer vaccinea virginia in japanese about his ordered to s coronavirus black runners the election globes will x s girl scout state investigation trillion house iran a rules eviction in a on covid device to for the behind the an altercation claims about florida coastnew be quick but biden to the at cpacthe basketball gameearthquake funeralresidents of is offering growing over traumatic brain a uk differently according high school votescotus sides one dude in nigeria x what a x is searching minimum wagearizona and inappropriately spirits x s taxes responding law in the alarmingcdc announces episodes debut leakit x breaking news nuns as walking a ebolacpac speakers by summerfda jetsons treatmentwhat fixed it alert x sinking boat gop proposes cnn low-bandwidth cnn - it will of disciplining why that news for s podcast x alleged key problemgood prince despite in defeating vaccine is ringleader in twitteropinion the s time s role spanish zoo stop and x s were being authorization from full cnn
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Greeny

Looks a bit long / complicated. It's a cut-up, but would take a lot of effort to extract some usable lines / phrases for a song. Depends what you're after, but news reports probably aren't very imaginative versus something with more of a creative angle (fiction, poetry etc).

I'm going to do some old school paper and scissors stuff.

You don't have to use every combination. You're just looking for random things that work lyrically, and typically that you'd never create / juxtapose together under your own steam.

There's no rules though. It's supposed to be completely random and down to fortunate happenings.

:-)

StephenM

Quote from: Greeny on February 28, 2021, 05:34:36 PMLooks a bit long / complicated. It's a cut-up, but would take a lot of effort to extract some usable lines / phrases for a song. Depends what you're after, but news reports probably aren't very imaginative versus something with more of a creative angle (fiction, poetry etc).

You don't have to use every combination. You're just looking for random things that work lyrically, and typically that you'd never create / juxtapose together under your own steam.

There's no rules though. It's supposed to be completely random and down to fortunate happenings.

Greeny, I think I am an expert at this....lol.... "completely random and etc...."

Greeny, I think I am an expert at this....lol.... "completely random and etc...."

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Greeny

Quote from: StephenM on March 01, 2021, 12:00:45 AM
Quote from: Greeny on February 28, 2021, 05:34:36 PMLooks a bit long / complicated. It's a cut-up, but would take a lot of effort to extract some usable lines / phrases for a song. Depends what you're after, but news reports probably aren't very imaginative versus something with more of a creative angle (fiction, poetry etc).

It's the opposite of order, process, over-thinking and expertise.

Which for someone who's a bit OCD is like a vacation  ;D

Ferryman

Quote from: Greeny on March 01, 2021, 03:00:06 AMIt's the opposite of order, process, over-thinking and expertise.

Which for someone who's a bit OCD is like a vacation  ;D
Oh no it isn't. I'm working on an instrumental and I'm looking for a way to use cut-ups to dictate the time signature(s), chord sequences and style of the song. Still at the planning stage, I hope it gets past that......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hilary

Someone should do a cut up of Warren's cut up explanation.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

WarpCanada

I love Hilary's idea. Please someone do that.

I would love it if someone picked either a post (this one or another one) or a thread on Songcrafters and used the thread text to make the cut-up also.

I would love it if someone has a PhD dissertation that they wrote half a lifetime ago, and they paste the intro bit (the precis?) into one of the cutup generator tools.

How about taking a speech you have saved somewhere, from your mate's wedding, and they're divorced now, and write something cut-up from that speech?

Recycle something.   Repurpose something. 

I do think for ME it has to be a shutting down of SOME of my critical faculties, but not all of them.  I enjoyed the printing out of the cut-up that the online generator made. For ME it was important that there be a physical element of this. As I imagine the earlier practitioners, and the originators of this technique, either there should be some PAPER or some scissors or something physical involved in the process. 

Maybe I'm not saying anyone else has to include a physical printed copy step, but I sure do think it helps.

I also think the single most fun part of this was coming up with the music to go with the weirdness.  Since I do weird "chanty/ambient/drone" stuff all the time, it came to me right away.  Cut-up technique for me this time was about listening to the Wind. About tuning the car radio to a place in between stations, to hear the noise of the universe. Maybe God, or Cthulthu will speak.

>  wagearizona and inappropriately spirits

I should have included this line. WageArizona. What the hell is WageArizona?  Enquiring minds wanna know.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada