"Hip Replacement Blues" a Mike_S original (featuring Hook)

Started by Hook, February 25, 2021, 01:10:24 PM

Hook

Hip Replacement Blues
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So many months ago Mike_S sent me this track for BluesFest. Unfortunately for him I've been buried shoulder deep in my own emotional crap and for some reason couldn't do it. Luckily it waited for me on my laptop and I pulled it out this morning and did this Tom Waitsy vocal and some lead guitar. I had so much fun working on this this morning, hopefully I'm finding some mojo.
Mike wrote the music and the lyrics, I just sang and played some lead.
Hip Replacement Blues
[written by Mike_S
performed by Mike_S & Hook
My body is getting weaker & my mind is starting to go
They say I'm getting forgetful, that the cracks are starting to show
I'm slower to dress in the morning, its harder to get out of bed
I'm sorry if I don't remember half of the things you said

My reactions are getting slower, my eyesight is failing too
My bones are starting to crumble
I've got the Hip Replacement Blues

Just climbing the stairs is a nightmare, it fills my mind up with dread
& when I wake up in the morning It's hard just to get out of bed
& please don't get me started about the youth of today
I know that things were much better way on back in the day

My reactions are getting slower, my eyesight is failing too
My bones are starting to crumble
I've got the Hip Replacement Blues

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Pine

Mike, how dare you write a song about me without my permission!...but you got it wrong..it was my knee not my hip. Other than that, it's sadly on target :-))
Hook you really nailed the vocals on this GREAT swingin' blues number. The lead guitar was ace and this whole package is now in the realm of EXCELLENT COLLABS. This kicks ass...bravo!
recorder
Boss BR-1200

cuthbert

Very well-played up tempo blues and lyrics (they certainly resonate with me these days, lol), and one helluva vocal performance.

Well done, gents!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Mike_S

Yeah that is how you put down a vocal... absolutely brilliant. Just listening here and smiling to what Hook has done with just a basic little shuffle drumbeat and riff. It is what we need right now... something light hearted... this vocal just cracks me up. You sang this with a heart and a half brother. Those are tasty lead guitar additions too - the soloing towards then end is magnificent... just like the vocals... loadsa heart. So cooool.... thanks Hook!!   ;D ;D ;D
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

stellar job boys....you were born to sing this kind of song hook...it sounds like you lived every word....great slinky solo.....beauty of a base track too from Mike.....hot sheeet stuff....what a vocal.....heart and soul

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ray Brookes

WOW! What a voice. Great rocky number, guys and excellent lyrics. Smashing guitar work and that vocal track .... back to instrumentals for me.
Ray Brookes

WarpCanada

The lyrics are hilarious, the blues is great, and the vocal delivery is on point.   You nailed it.

I turned 51 last month, and I hate the fact that I can't see the readouts on my synths or my pedals anymore, with glasses on or not, from my standing height.  Hey at least we ain't dead.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

kenny mac

Excellent stuff guys.
Hook your vocal and lyrics are spot on.
Lovely guitar tone as well.
Nice one

Johnbee

I'll be 66 in July and I feel  your pain.  My hips are still OK.  It's some of the other joints that are starting to go.  The song was fun to listen to.
 :) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!