Put an orchestra in your DAW for $150-$199 (UVI Orchestral Suite)

Started by WarpCanada, February 23, 2021, 08:47:51 PM

WarpCanada

Orchestra Template Sample
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So I recently picked up a $50-off sale and got the UVI Orchestral Suite, which works inside the UVI Workstation (a free player plugin for UVI products) VST/AU instrument, and gives you basically every standard orchestral instrument you might want (a full solo and polyphonic string section, solo and polyphonic violin, viola,  full brass section, full percussion, full woodwinds section, and a wide variety of keyboard instruments including a beautiful sounding Celeste, Harpsichord, and even a fully functional church organ with about 12 different Stops).

Anyways I made a sample little track that could be some bit of video game menu music in about 40 minutes of messing around. I created a "template" with a track for each instrument I might frequently use, and then started messing around a bit.  The File-> New menu in my DAW (Cubase) now has an Orchestral template option that I made, and it's all set up with reverbs and everything, and good to go.   I highly recommend this thing if you feel your songwriting adventures might need more strings or orchestral sounds.

https://www.uvi.net/orchestral-suite.html

Here's a screenshot of what the template I made looks like:

From what I gather from more serious people,  this product is perfect for amateurs like me, and is not what a professional scoring film composer would use.  They would spend about $1500 just on the Strings library of their own choice, and another $500-$800 on brass libraries, and another $10K or more on the rest of their orchestra libraries, all of which would be Kontakt libraries, and Kontakt itself costs more than UVI Orchestral Suite, and it doesn't come with any useful sound libraries. They would also have several terabytes of high speed Solid State storage to hold all these libraries and would probably need a slave rig or two and a product called Vienna Ensemble Pro that lets you basically run several computers in tandem to get the compute power needed to render a full orchestral arrangement since having 70 instances of Kontakt, each pulling in hundreds of gigs of sample data per minute will choke even the fastest high end workstations.

So, this little product on the other hand is only 5 gigs of sample libraries, and it sounds FINE to me.   For what it is meant to do, it sounds good.  If I end up doing a lot of stuff, I may buy some fancy Legato Strings libraries. The main thing you don't get out of a budget title like the UVI Orchestral Suite is credible legato strings. 

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

WarpCanada

Orchestra Template Sample 2
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Okay I made a second demo "buildup" this one working towards a thundering church pipe organ.

This second one may become a motif for a major songwriting thingy, because I feel it might need some actual real vocals. 

I have always wanted to make something similar to what "Sleeping At Last" does.   Orchestral Emo Pop.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

alfstone

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

BerryPatch

That's beautiful sounding. If the time come where I start using DAWs and software and stuff, I might look into this

TPB

Sounds very good I recently got the spitfire collection which is also good and they will give the base set and add on free of charge
Now to just use them correctly
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

WarpCanada

I think the spitfire collection would be the next step up from this for someone who wants to spend about $500 instead of about $200.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Jean Pierre

wow! it sounds really good, bluffing... we must be having a lot of fun with it.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo