Leave Your Lights On

Started by BAG, June 02, 2009, 04:44:54 AM

BAG

Leave Your Lights On - June 09
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's a pretty rough version of Santana's "Leave your Lights On" that i just did with Kayla (as most of you know she's only 8yo). I did the acoustic and vox and she did the lead.
I've been using this song to get her to practice improvising and the only part she's learnt from the song is the intro riff. So basically everything other than the intro riff is all improv. She did all this in one take but get's easily bored with the recording process and didn't want to do any more takes. There's a few fluffed parts and it gets a bit repetitive so i pulled the lead back a bit during the verses.....but i probably did it a bit too much.

Anyway, i thought some of you would be interested to hear how she is going and i'll repost another time when she's keen to have another go.
Just a roadie again.....

The Reverend 48

AMAZING...she is going to be a Star! its just brilliant for a guitarist of any age!

Greeny

What a talent. That's way better lead than I can play! I don't know whether to be impressed or depressed, lol. Great stuff.

Satchwood

Very nice - great father & daughter talent!!  Cool improv soloing Kayla!!

I really like the end solo the best!!

I wish I can get my 10 year old son to try something like this....
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

launched

Great improv - and just one take!!

My folks thought a scale was something you stepped on every morning...

I know there are probably a lot of behind the scenes ups and downs, but I think it's great that you actually play with your kids.

Great post!!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Saijinn Maas

That's very cool! My daughter is 6 and she's just started learning guitar. I hope she catches on as well as your daughter has.

BAG

Quote from: launched on June 02, 2009, 12:18:19 PMI know there are probably a lot of behind the scenes ups and downs, but I think it's great that you actually play with your kids.

Actually these days there are virtually no dummy spits (from them or me). I've learnt to just ask who wants to play some guitar when we have time and if they say no, i don't push the point (even if i am disappointed) I just play by myself. Sometimes they then join in sometimes not. I don't let it get to me as i appreciate the fact that i get to spend quality time with my kids at least a couple of times a week. And what better way to do it than making music!

There are times when we haven't had much practice together that Kayla in particular gets told she won't be allowed to get up and play at the club if she doesn't practice the new songs she wants to do with me......and that's all the encouragement she needs as she LOVES getting up to play live.

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 02, 2009, 12:22:53 PMThat's very cool! My daughter is 6 and she's just started learning guitar. I hope she catches on as well as your daughter has.

I think just starting at that age is so helpful......as long as they really want to do it. Kids just learn so easily.
Just a roadie again.....

Geir

Not only does she play very clean (mastering damping) and melodic she also manages to master dynamics on a overdriven guitar .. amazing !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

BAG

Quote from: Geir on June 03, 2009, 07:20:59 AMNot only does she play very clean (mastering damping) and melodic she also manages to master dynamics on a overdriven guitar .. amazing !!!

Sorry to burst the bubble Geir but she actually recorded it clean and i added the effects afterwards.

She got to listen to this final mix last night and said "I went a bit overboard on the verses didn't i dad, i think i need to do a little less there" and also picked up on where she wasn't holding some notes long enough, all without any prompting from me. This self analysis of her own playing is a better teacher than anything i can think of.

I've still got a lot to learn from this MBR but it's the best money i've ever spent on anything to do with music.

On recording technique, to get the different effects on the two guitar parts (verses and solos) i bounced the clean guitar to a new v-track with the effect set to LOC to obtain a new track with the effects, doing so twice, once for each of the two different effects and volume levels. Is there any way you can bounce a track and turn the effects on and then off without stopping the recording, similar to kicking in a foot pedal while playing, or does anyone have any tips on this kind of thing?
Just a roadie again.....

Kody

Good to hear from you guys again, BAG!!!! I thinks she's getting better...sounds very good!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One