Nigel WAS a punk rocker

Started by Ferryman, February 20, 2021, 04:22:21 AM

Kenneth

I never doubted! Cool pics!
Wish I could have made the zoom call, work gets in the way... plus I was sober! lol
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Ferryman

Kenneth, we'll make sure you are on the next one!

Quote from: StephenM on March 01, 2021, 10:19:47 PMit would be a cool story to write about a guy who was a punk rocker by night and establishment business man by day...living 2 complete lives....
That WAS my life Steve! By day I used to wear a suit and work in an office (for a big US oil company), by night a punk rocker. I often used to get in from playing gigs around 2am and then get up at 6am to get the train in to work........... Ah the joys of being young!

Mind you, I had to work to help finance the band. I always pushed us to get in the studio to record demos and that didn't come cheap. No MBRs in those days......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pete C

My first band in the late 70s was a punk and ska covers band - we were very unsuccessful and only managed a few youth club gigs. In punk style we all had stage names:
On drums - Spike
Bass and Vocal - Stu Skank
Guitar - Ziggy Backaxle (me  :-[)
Guitar and keys - Jonathan Banks (the sensible one amongst us)

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Ferryman

I was in a short-lived punk band with a name that is too rude to mention these days. I really like Punks Not Dad, a bunch of old geezers who did some funny punk songs a few years back. They had names like Johnny Cardigan, Joe Strimmer and Sid Life Crisis.....

I was in a goth-y post-punk band and one afternoon after too much to drink/smoke we decided that my stage name should be "Ashley Mannix" as Nigel just didn't work (my middle name is Ashley). It didn't make it through the sobering up process......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

maxit

LoL what a story! and cool pics ;-)
In the 80s I joined my first band and was a Cure cover band. Later I went to London and risked to be beaten by a real punk (I wanted to take a photo LoL) ! Nigel it could be you !!
recorder
Audacity

pjd1

Thats the late 70,s right there , i must dig out photos if i can remember were i laid them down , took me back to my youth and good times , we even had white shoes , must have been a style of the time

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

WarpCanada

These are awesome photos.

In 1979, I was nine years old and I was the proud owner of a motocross-styled pedal bike. It had a fake plastic gas tank and fake plastic shock absorbers, and I liked to put hockey cards on the back so they rubbed against the spokes, making a kind of motorcycle sound as you rode the bike. I had not yet touched a guitar, but I had endured several years of my mom trying to force me to learn to play piano.  I credit those early piano lessons for a forty year delay in taking up the musical adventures that I might have otherwise undertaken.   Sorry, mum, it's not her fault.  But we digress.

1979, the year before U2 released Boy.  They were kids themselves.   I was listening to Johnny Cash, and Anne Murray mostly.  My dad's car had an 8-track in it, and we had a console stereo, with a record and 8-track in it.

What a great year.   I had a library card and a bicycle, and I lived in a world of science fiction novels and riding bicycles.  School happened, but it was an irrelevancy to me.  Who cares about school?

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

StephenM

Quote from: Ferryman on March 02, 2021, 10:20:43 AMKenneth, we'll make sure you are on the next one!

Quote from: StephenM on March 01, 2021, 10:19:47 PMit would be a cool story to write about a guy who was a punk rocker by night and establishment business man by day...living 2 complete lives....
That WAS my life Steve! By day I used to wear a suit and work in an office (for a big US oil company), by night a punk rocker. I often used to get in from playing gigs around 2am and then get up at 6am to get the train in to work........... Ah the joys of being young!

Mind you, I had to work to help finance the band. I always pushed us to get in the studio to record demos and that didn't come cheap. No MBRs in those days......

it is amazing what people will do for something they love and believe in....it gives you power....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner