Nigel WAS a punk rocker

Started by Ferryman, February 20, 2021, 04:22:21 AM

Ferryman

There was some debate on our Zoom call last night over whether an old guy who's been in IT for too many years could've actually been a punk rocker back in the day.

Well, to prove it, I've dug out some poor quality photos of the band I was in performing at a local church hall in 1979. I'm the bass player, in black and white in the first photo, and in glorious technicolour in the others.

I used to have a stage trick of eating disco records, as punks at the time didn't like disco. The third photo shows me tucking into a Donna Summer single or something similar.

I must say it was huge fun gigging back in those days. We used to put on gigs ourselves (as well as playing established venues), our gear was all cheap rubbish and we were very much into the "do it yourself" ethos of punk. We played around Brighton and the South coast and did a few London gigs. We had a bit of interest from Virgin Records but we never really got anywhere.

I guess we were really new wave rather than "hardcore" punk, as our influences were bands like the Damned and the Buzzcocks. But we were part of the whole punk scene that was quite big in Brighton in those days. And it was over 40 years ago...... :-[   

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ted

Great photos!

How do find out when there is a Zoom call? I would have defended you. Of course and old IT guy could have been a punk, and still can be.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ferryman

Quote from: Ted on February 20, 2021, 05:57:04 AMGreat photos!

How do find out when there is a Zoom call? I would have defended you. Of course and old IT guy could have been a punk, and still can be.
Thanks Ted!

The Zoom calls are somewhat random, Bruno set one up and did a post in the General Discussion but there wasn't a lot of advance notice. So easy to miss. We'll PM you for sure on the next one.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

I love these photos. And you'll always be cool musically and personally to me. Your music always shows your true credentials.

I like the band white shoe coordination going on!

Bluesberry

That's the rubber hitting the road right there.....great pictures...it's so very cool that this site is the home of minor rock stars....

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

BerryPatch

Great pictures Nigel. Do you happen to have any recordings from back in the day, like for Virgin Records or anything? I'd love to hear some of it, especially since you mentioned the Buzzcocks as an influence

Ferryman

Quote from: BerryPatch on February 20, 2021, 12:14:15 PMGreat pictures Nigel. Do you happen to have any recordings from back in the day, like for Virgin Records or anything? I'd love to hear some of it, especially since you mentioned the Buzzcocks as an influence
Sadly only cassettes, so nothing I can post. However, the demo tape we sent to Virgin Records was also reviewed by a music paper in the UK, and you can read about that and its relation to U2 on this thread..... https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=9901.0

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

I missed this before Nigel.... ain't nothing wrong with being a punk....which as I have reviewed the vibe of it a bit...listened to interviews etc...it was really just a new generation of rock that was anti establishment....wanting to establish their own establlishment....  funny you mentioned eating disco records...that is funny.... I got kicked out of a club once when I was watching American football and they came up with the time for music and started playing disco... I jumped up on the table and started booing and yelling "disco sucks"..... good thing we had already ddrank all our beer cause 5 or 6 of us got booted for my behavior...careful who your friends are....
it would be a cool story to write about a guy who was a punk rocker by night and establishment business man by day...living 2 complete lives....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

love the photos Nigel and I really like your friendship on SC... it is the best...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner